Juvenile Beardie won't eat - HELP Understanding Behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, I need a little help figuring out what my new juvenile beardie's behaviors indicate.

We got her a little over a week ago. At first, she only sat in the basking area all day on her log. Then she started to venture around a little, still in the basking area.

We changed her substrate to reptile carpet after discovering that the calcium sand was no good. We upgraded her UVB bulb to the 10.0 ReptiSun bulb/hood about 2 days ago. 3 days ago we changed her basking bulb to a 100 ZooMed basking bulb. UVB is simply placed on top of Thrive 20 gallon tank screen. Basking bulb is lifted by fixture about 4 inches above screen. Temps are 105 on basking side and 80 on the cool side.

Yesterday I added some tile to bottom of cool side and flipped her hide (that she's never used before) creating more of a hiding capability.

A few things that have remained the same since we got her:

She WILL NOT eat. In about a week, she's eaten 7 tiny, tiny crickets all in one day. The other days nothing. We tried small ones that were bigger before but she wouldn't even budge. She seems almost as though she's not confident she can catch them.

She seems to ALWAYS be sleeping. Stays in one place and sleeps all day. Always has her eyes closed, even at feeding times.

Does drink water when I used dropper on tip of her nose.

Things that have changed in the last day:

She all the sudden has moved to sitting on top of hiding cave on the cool side for the entire day since she woke up. Which I thought was weird since I thought she may want to warm up after cooling down over night.

She has been occasionally scratching her head on things and turning more grey like she is going to shed. Which may be why she is behaving the way she has been, but I just want to make sure. The switch to being on the cool side all day has thrown me off. I don't know maybe she just likes her new UVB bulb. But I sure wish she would eat something she's stressing me out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the UVB on the cool side of the tank --- the UVB should be a distance of 12-15 inches unobstructed UNLESS the screen is a WIDE HOLE then it can stay on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- is the tank a 20 gallon? I am assuming it is -- your gonna want to upgrade that tank here like ASAP - shes getting to big for a small tank -- I recommend looking for a 75-120 gallon tank either used on Craigslist or FB Marketplace look for one w/ front doors --- the basking spot is probably too hot for her drop it down to 95-100 and make sure your getting the temp w/ a digital probe thermometer stick ons are inaccurate ---- make your adjustments and see what she does then--place the probe where she sits for basking ---- how long has she not been eating - and you said shes eating tiny tiny crickets --- how big is she ?

torilynn14

Original Poster
Okay ill drop temp down...but she's only about maybe 7 inches from head to tip of tail. Tried everything, variety of staple veggies too to see if she would eat anything more. Ive had her a little over a week. First 3 days ate nothing then 4th day ate about 7 tiny crickets. Now it's been a few days since then.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB needs to be properly placed or she wont eat --- shes going thru relocation stress so thats going to effect her eating but the basking temps and UVB need to be correct --- get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com they are small you can start w/ mediums DO NOT dust them --- great staple feeder for babies and juvies ---- feed as many as you want on top of her salads --- use them as lures to the salad bowl rinse your salad greens before you serve them she will hydration from that --- the basking temps and the UVB are the most important thing in that tank ---

torilynn14

Original Poster
okay but I am a little confused as to how I would properly place the UVB tube lighting if not placing on the screen. Any suggestions as to mounting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here are some things to use
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties fishing line potted plant wire hangers or this stuff I use it in my tanks and it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture it will still to itself https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
the 20 gallon tank should have the screen off place width wise on the tank take your screen and butt up to it on the one end --- looks like this only mine was set up w/ it in the middle of the tank as I had no screen on it this is a 20 gallon long
97951-9562450009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom