Just shed and now scabs possibly?

My beardie just shed his beard area and there are few black patches. I'm not sure if they are scabs and he possibly could have scratched it when he was pawing at his chin. Has any one experienced this? I did not help him with his shed and he never has problems with shedding in the past. I have attached a picture and any comments, thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230417_185219.jpg
    20230417_185219.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They aren't scabs especially if you didn't pull on the skin. I have seen this before but not sure what
causes it.
Could he have scraped his chin or beard area on the side of his tank possibly? It isn't food, correct?
Does it seem to hurt him any?
You could try putting some aloe vera gel or silver gel on the area, in case it is a scrape.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Was he laying with his chin propped on something? My guy Zen gets those spots when he props his chin on the suspended edge of his hammock. They clear up in a little bit once he moves. I see them a few times a week (his hammock is almost vertical on one end and he loves to hang out there with his head hanging over the edge) his beard is just black in this pic, but when he does this is when i see the random dark spots as well.

Attachments

• 20230413_063422.jpg
    20230413_063422.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 60

ambermic00

Original Poster
Hello,

They aren't scabs especially if you didn't pull on the skin. I have seen this before but not sure what
causes it.
Could he have scraped his chin or beard area on the side of his tank possibly? It isn't food, correct?
Does it seem to hurt him any?
You could try putting some aloe vera gel or silver gel on the area, in case it is a scrape.

Tracie
No it's not food and it doesn't seem to hurt him. He did paw at his chin when he was shedding and he does prop his head on things so maybe it's a combination of all of that. I'll try the alovera and see if that helps it heal. Thanks for your help!

ambermic00

Original Poster
Was he laying with his chin propped on something? My guy Zen gets those spots when he props his chin on the suspended edge of his hammock. They clear up in a little bit once he moves. I see them a few times a week (his hammock is almost vertical on one end and he loves to hang out there with his head hanging over the edge) his beard is just black in this pic, but when he does this is when i see the random dark spots as well.
Yes he does prop his head on alot of things. I thought about that too. He was shedding and pawing at his chin so maybe it is a combination of all that. He doesn't seem painful so I'll try alovera gel and see if it helps heal. Thanks for your help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The first picture looks like obvious scale damage, but it doesn't appear so in the second picture?

Can you post another close up picture of his beard that you took today?

-Brandon

ambermic00

Original Poster
The first picture looks like obvious scale damage, but it doesn't appear so in the second picture?

Can you post another close up picture of his beard that you took today?

-Brandon
Brandon, I only posted the one picture. Here is a closer picture though, and I do agree, definitely scale damage.

Attachments

• 20230418_183743.jpg
    20230418_183743.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 57

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom