Is there anything I can't put into my BSFL compost?

musicalbeardies

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Onyx
Hello,

I am in the process of building a BSFL compost bin. This in part to produce compost and reduce food waste, and to feed my pets (chickens, geckos, and beardie of course.)

This bin will house and feed the larva until they crawl up into a top container to pupate. They will then turn into the flies, mate in the compost bin, and voila, a self sustaining feeding operation.

However, my concern is about what I CANT compost. Most people who compost with BSFL say they will eat literally anything, but I know that some insects can become toxic if they ingest certain foods (tomato hornworms for example - toxic if they ingest tomatoes).

Should I only feed the BSFL what is safe for my pets? Or will they not become toxic?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What they eat will play a large role in the nutrients they provide to your dragon. I would stay away from the plants that we know to be toxic.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thread type changed from Discussion Thread to Question Thread by Moderator.

Friendly reminder to utilize the Question Thread option to help future users with a similar question.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
They can eat a pizza but I'm not sure if they can eat a pizza and then you could feed it to your dragon...
I think there's tomato paste in a lot of pizzas with marinara sauce.

Whatever your feeding the bugs your essentially feeding the dragon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom