Introducing a new beardie to my current bd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
My boyfriend offered to buy me a lizard for my 21st birthday (as I have adored them from an early age). We went to the shop and saw Dexter.
Dexter was in the 'rescued lizard' tank and I fell in love immediatly.
He was housed in a tank with 9 differnt species of Lizard and had his left claw biten off along with most of his toes on his left leg. He had never been handled.

It only took around 2 weeks to tame Dexter bribing him with worms and other treats! We dont know his age or sex. He is about 13 inches long and is a boisterous and demanding little devil. He will knock on the tank when he wants to come and sit in my lap and climb down my leg when he's decided he wants to have an explore. Some times he comes out and wont sit still, climbing up one arm and down the other, burrowing in my lap and attempting to leap onto my desk! He relishes his weekly bath. Dexter does not bob his head or wave, although I think this is because of his balence issues.

Dexter was poorly fed before he was rescued and can be very fussy. One day he will demolish everything in sight (i give him 3-4 locusts and a bowl of mealworms and veggies daily) and some days he will only eat his locusts and ignores everything else.

He is also protective of me, which i found very suprising. My boyfriend rarely handles him but if I am with Dexter and he comes close he will give him a very beady eye or climb futher up me. Funny little suprise!

I hope all of this is normal(?)
This is Dexter!
dexter.jpg

Ohhai.jpg

Unfortunaly we have just found out that we were taken advantage of by the person who sold Dexter to us, saying we had to have the biggest tank (47inches long 24 inches wide and 25 inches deep). With the full set up he charged us over £300 (he said if we bought this, and we HAD to buy it, that he would give us Dexter for free). Two months on we've found out this is a complete lie and he scammed us out of alot of money.
Anyway, a long story short is that as we have found out or tank could house alot more beardies we want to adopt another rescue beardie because we'd like to make another little lizard happy.
We have our eye on a female from another reptile rescue center.
The owner said we were best completely cleaning out the tank + sand and rearranging the rocks and branches to put them both on even terratory. He also said to introduce them to eachother on neutral ground (the living room floor).

As we were taken advantage of by a previous shop keeper i was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on how best to introduce the two? Or on caring for Dexter?

Id love any imput you real experts can give me :)

Holly x

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
edit:
after reading some guides on this forum im finally convinced i know Dexters sex.
he has a distinctive solid bulge after his vent. seems my little boy is a little girl!

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
I had alot of problems with my two beardies being together. Eventually it led to fighting and one of them bit off the other ones toe and the tip of his tail. I had to separate them. So be carefull! if your beardie shows that she is protective of you she may get jelous at another beardie. I also dont think that a larger tank for her is bad! the bigger the better. Perhaps the price was a bit much the the size of the tank seems fine.

bekki10

When i first got minxie, he was the apple of my eye, he would sit with me for ages, and he certainly doesn't like my boyfriend. (he turn's black if he sits near him or me, and he watches him all the time while he's out!) But i bought 2 more! And i introduced minxie to them, he was a little wary at first as were the other 2, but after 5/10 minutes he was lying next to the other's. He loves being with the other's, i didn't do anything special with mine, i just put them in the same tank and kept an eye on them.

MissT

BD.org Addict
If you are set on housing them together, stick to 2 females. That lessens the risks of fighting and ensures that the female does not suffer due to overbreeding.

Personally, I keep mine separate - I just dont want to risk any future issues - they each have a 48 x 24 x 24 viv which I think is an ideal size for them - if I had the space i would probably have went for bigger viv's!!! I do think what you were charged was a little high (at least £150 too high) but it is the perfect size for Dexter!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom