Inexperienced & need help with lighting & temp

RosiePosiePuddinPie

Beardie name(s)
Rosie, Rosie Posie, Ro Ro
Hello friends! Apologies in advance for my stupidity and lengthy post. Husband and I are inexperienced, trying to care for our son’s beardie (grandchild) while he’s off to school. We recently moved our baby from son’s room to the living room for stimulation. Since the move, there’s been a drop in temps inside her tank and less activity. We believe it’s from our AC so we’ve increased our temp to 73 and blocked any vents near her tank. Please see attached pic and below details. I hope I’m providing enough information.

Tank: Dubia 120 gallon (48”x24x24)
Basking: 100 watt Incandescent (dome holder), bulb changed March 2023, Approx. 10” from basking platform. Some days temp reads mid-high 80s, right now showing 80 (taken by Ryobi laser gun)
UVB: Zoo Med LF-74 Terrarium Hood T5 HO, new July 2023, Above screen, front portion, length of tank.

1. Should I replace the basking bulb with 150w?
  2. Do I need additional heat source? If so, CHE or heat projector?
  3. Any recommendations on a Wi-Fi device and dimmable bulb? I would like to see her environment on my phone and make adjustments as needed, as I’m sure we’ll have issues in winter when house temp increases.
  4. Any other suggestions/recommendations?
I’m desperately trying to understand how to make this right. I’ve researched the internet and talked to several owners, but there’s so much conflicting info out there. I’m willing to do whatever I can to make this perfect. Please help!!!!

I truly appreciate your time and support.

Attachments

• BFF57761-83DE-4A1E-A255-66F2C728513C.jpg
    BFF57761-83DE-4A1E-A255-66F2C728513C.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 111

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello friends! Apologies in advance for my stupidity and lengthy post. Husband and I are inexperienced, trying to care for our son’s beardie (grandchild) while he’s off to school. We recently moved our baby from son’s room to the living room for stimulation. Since the move, there’s been a drop in temps inside her tank and less activity. We believe it’s from our AC so we’ve increased our temp to 73 and blocked any vents near her tank. Please see attached pic and below details. I hope I’m providing enough information.

Basking: 100 watt Incandescent (dome holder), bulb changed March 2023, Approx. 10” from basking platform. Some days temp reads mid-high 80s, right now showing 80 (taken by Ryobi laser gun)
UVB: Zoo Med LF-74 Terrarium Hood T5 HO, new July 2023, Above screen, front portion, length of tank.

3. Any recommendations on a Wi-Fi device and dimmable bulb? I would like to see her environment on my phone and make adjustments as needed, as I’m sure we’ll have issues in winter when house temp increases.
I’m desperately trying to understand how to make this right. I’ve researched the internet and talked to several owners, but there’s so much conflicting info out there. I’m willing to do whatever I can to make this perfect. Please help!!!!

Please get the UVB in the tank directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - screens block 30% of the rays and the tank is too tall for it to be on top -- surface basking temps should be 95-100 for a dragon over 6 months -- you want middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80ish - the surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer I recommend two of them - one for the cool side of the tank - analogs are for ambient temps only - please get a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank - I am not savvy on the wi fi device - your surface basking temps will determine the wattage of the bulb you will need -- glass tanks are hard to keep warm - you can get a CHE for winter time - placed on the top screen middle of the tank - you want ambient temps at night 65-75 - IR guns are good but can be off w/ certain types of decor materials - basking bulbs will tell you if they are dimmable -- you want one that is a clear solid bright white bulb NO off white --colored or yellowish or daytime bulbs --

RosiePosiePuddinPie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Please get the UVB in the tank directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - screens block 30% of the rays and the tank is too tall for it to be on top -- surface basking temps should be 95-100 for a dragon over 6 months -- you want middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80ish - the surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer I recommend two of them - one for the cool side of the tank - analogs are for ambient temps only - please get a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank - I am not savvy on the wi fi device - your surface basking temps will determine the wattage of the bulb you will need -- glass tanks are hard to keep warm - you can get a CHE for winter time - placed on the top screen middle of the tank - you want ambient temps at night 65-75 - IR guns are good but can be off w/ certain types of decor materials - basking bulbs will tell you if they are dimmable -- you want one that is a clear solid bright white bulb NO off white --colored or yellowish or daytime bulbs --
Thank you soooo much! I feel sick over this and pray everything will be fine.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Hi there 👋

Let’s start off with the basking bulb… it seems your temps are a bit cooler than recommended, for an adult it should be between 95-100 degrees and for hatchlings it should be between 100-110 degrees.

I would recommend increasing wattage for sure. In the meantime, does your enclosure have a little flap above the screen? If it does, place it on top while it’s open to increase the temps. Otherwise, replace the bulb asap.

What are you measuring temps with? No stick-one or temp guns, please. They are both wildly incorrect. Use a digital probe thermometer and hydrometer, it gives the most accurate readings.

As for brands, avoid anything made by the brand ‘Thrive’. Flukers is my personal favourite but Reptisun is good too. How old is your bulb? Has it always read 80? Age can cause a bulb to loose its heat.

Onto UVB… Zoomed fixtures are one of the less recommended set ups which is why I’d highly advise you strap the bulb inside the tank. Otherwise, you could invest in a higher quality brand such as Reptisun or Arcadia.

If you do choose to buy a new bulb, here is what you look for: if you want to place it above the mesh buy a 39w 12-14% fixture, if you want it inside the tank buy a 24w 12% fixture. Make sure it also provides D3+.

My set up consists of this: Flukers basking bulb, 39w 14% Arcadia lamp above the mesh. Everything’s been working fine for me so far. Good luck!

RosiePosiePuddinPie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you sooooo much for your time. It’s a bit overwhelming for a newbie. Yours and KarrieRee’s posts have me feeling much better. As soon as I read them, I ordered 2 thermometer/hygro with probes, Fluker’s 150w basking bulb, and the Arcadia hood/bulb for UVB.

Her temps were good in my son’s room; it’s small with vents closed. We relocated her to the living room which is cooler. About 2 days later I noticed: decreased activity, reduced appetite, not basking, sleeping more, much deeper and more time in her cave on the cooler side of tank. The next day, I placed an additional lamp (lower watt) over her cave. About an hour later, she perked up, came out of cave, ate, and moved around. Approximately 2-3 hours later, went back into her cave to sleep. Today, same thing - deep sleep all day, came out approximately 2 hours after placing the
2nd lamp over cave, moved around for 1 hour then back into the cave to sleep.

We replaced the basking bulb in May and the UVB in July; however, these will be replaced tomorrow when I receive Fluker’s and Arcadia.

Thank you guys again for this help. You have no idea…

QUOTE="J4ckdaw-, post: 2031047, member: 117954"]
Hi there 👋

Let’s start off with the basking bulb… it seems your temps are a bit cooler than recommended, for an adult it should be between 95-100 degrees and for hatchlings it should be between 100-110 degrees.

I would recommend increasing wattage for sure. In the meantime, does your enclosure have a little flap above the screen? If it does, place it on top while it’s open to increase the temps. Otherwise, replace the bulb asap.

What are you measuring temps with? No stick-one or temp guns, please. They are both wildly incorrect. Use a digital probe thermometer and hydrometer, it gives the most accurate readings.

As for brands, avoid anything made by the brand ‘Thrive’. Flukers is my personal favourite but Reptisun is good too. How old is your bulb? Has it always read 80? Age can cause a bulb to loose its heat.

Onto UVB… Zoomed fixtures are one of the less recommended set ups which is why I’d highly advise you strap the bulb inside the tank. Otherwise, you could invest in a higher quality brand such as Reptisun or Arcadia.

If you do choose to buy a new bulb, here is what you look for: if you want to place it above the mesh buy a 39w 12-14% fixture, if you want it inside the tank buy a 24w 12% fixture. Make sure it also provides D3+.

My set up consists of this: Flukers basking bulb, 39w 14% Arcadia lamp above the mesh. Everything’s been working fine for me so far. Good luck!
[/QUOTE]

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom