Improper readings for temps

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Today I discovered that my thermo gun was incorrect by a longshot, it said the temps were around 114f but when I moved the probe thermometer directly onto the basking spot it read 84f (night temps are still 73f)... I don't know what to say- he's had that for the 3 months that I've had him, I'm worried now that it could have caused some sort of issue? I know improper temps do that to a dragon, after 3 months of no change could he become ill?

I'm buying a new mesh top asap as mine is a very dense, metal material with small holes that does not let much heat through. I have a Thrive enclosure (I wish I'd know better!) and I've read that blocks out 60% of almost anything you put on top! My local herp shop sells good material mesh so I'm going to use that instead but I'm also at a loss, I'll be upgrading my enclosure to a 75 gallon soonish (around 1.5-3 months from now) so I'll be spending money on something I'll be replacing very soon. And a good mesh costs, like, 35$!

He's had a past with diahhrea, even after being treated for parasites. Did the improper temps cause that? What are other symptoms? He isn't lethargic, he has a good appetite, he is active and alert, he passes solid stool now (thank goodness) either everyday or every two days, he is vibrant and colorful, growing quicker than any bearded dragon I've ever had... He doesn't seem to be in bad shape at all, at least for now... I admit, he had gotten more active after I bought the new UVB but not incredibly active, did the improper temps cause this?

I'm sorry, I always find a way to freak out, sometimes over nothing. I just don't think I can bear the thought of him being sick, he's kind of like my emotional support animal I guess... I'm also going to change brands to Reptisun after my current bulb burns out, usually I get 75w... Is that ok? The herp shop I go to has 100w and 150w bulbs as well, which one should I get? How long does improper temps take to negatively affect a beardie's health? What should I do in the meantime? Please help me,

Edit: temps raised to 91-95f on basking spot.

Edit 2: his basking spot is sitting at 100f atm, no longer an issue.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Today I discovered that my thermo gun was incorrect by a longshot, it said the temps were around 114f but when I moved the probe thermometer directly onto the basking spot it read 84f (night temps are still 73f)... I don't know what to say- he's had that for the 3 months that I've had him, I'm worried now that it could have caused some sort of issue? I know improper temps do that to a dragon, after 3 months of no change could he become ill?

I'm buying a new mesh top asap as mine is a very dense, metal material with small holes that does not let much heat through. I have a Thrive enclosure (I wish I'd know better!) and I've read that blocks out 60% of almost anything you put on top! My local herp shop sells good material mesh so I'm going to use that instead but I'm also at a loss, I'll be upgrading my enclosure to a 75 gallon soonish (around 1.5-3 months from now) so I'll be spending money on something I'll be replacing very soon. And a good mesh costs, like, 35$!

He's had a past with diahhrea, even after being treated for parasites. Did the improper temps cause that? What are other symptoms? He isn't lethargic, he has a good appetite, he is active and alert, he passes solid stool now (thank goodness) either everyday or every two days, he is vibrant and colorful, growing quicker than any bearded dragon I've ever had... He doesn't seem to be in bad shape at all, at least for now... I admit, he had gotten more active after I bought the new UVB but not incredibly active, did the improper temps cause this?

I'm sorry, I always find a way to freak out, sometimes over nothing. I just don't think I can bear the thought of him being sick, he's kind of like my emotional support animal I guess... I'm also going to change brands to Reptisun after my current bulb burns out, usually I get 75w... Is that ok? The herp shop I go to has 100w and 150w bulbs as well, which one should I get? How long does improper temps take to negatively affect a beardie's health? What should I do in the meantime? Please help me,
Get your surface basking temps up to par 95-100 and use the digital probe thermometer to get that temp-- and yes improper temps could cause the diarrhea - where is the uvb? Top of screen or inside the tank? I would get a 120 gallon tank we have links for those tanks

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Get your surface basking temps up to par 95-100 and use the digital probe thermometer to get that temp-- and yes improper temps could cause the diarrhea - where is the uvb? Top of screen or inside the tank? I would get a 120 gallon tank we have links for those tanks
I checked just now, temps raised only to 91-95f. His UVB is above the mesh, around 10" above his basking platform, 18" from the ground, and 7" above some of his climbable décor. A 120 gallon would be great but I don't have much available room, his enclosure is currently on my dresser and definitely would not fit! I cant put the enclosure on the floor because first of all, I don't have floor space and secondly, because I have two cats who are free to roam my room.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I checked just now, temps raised only to 91-95f. His UVB is above the mesh, around 10" above his basking platform, 18" from the ground, and 7" above some of his climbable décor. A 120 gallon would be great but I don't have much available room, his enclosure is currently on my dresser and definitely would not fit! I cant put the enclosure on the floor because first of all, I don't have floor space and secondly, because I have two cats who are free to roam my room.
Ok how long is the dresser? I have one of my tanks sitting on a shorter dresser blazes tank hangs over the edges about 5" on each side- on the ends- your uvb needs to be inside the tank-- directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches for a T 5

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Ok how long is the dresser? I have one of my tanks sitting on a shorter dresser blazes tank hangs over the edges about 5" on each side- on the ends- your uvb needs to be inside the tank-- directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches for a T 5
The dresser is 6ft and 4" long and 20" wide. A 120 gallon is 8ft, correct? That means it will hang 16" over the edge on each side, my dresser is also against the wall and the rim of my closet so I can't move it. My UVB tube is 36" long and covers the entire expanse of the enclosure, I won't be able to fit it inside as there are raised areas along the edge of the enclosure which makes the inside smaller. If I did it would be around 8" from the basking spot and 5" from the other décor, it is also very bulky with it's reflector so it would take up a lot of space. Would it be alright to get a new screen but keep the UVB on top?

Edit: I forgot to mention, it it is 14% which will be quite a lot for such a short distance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The dresser is 6ft and 4" long and 20" wide. A 120 gallon is 8ft, correct? That means it will hang 16" over the edge on each side, my dresser is also against the wall and the rim of my closet so I can't move it. My UVB tube is 36" long and covers the entire expanse of the enclosure, I won't be able to fit it inside as there are raised areas along the edge of the enclosure which makes the inside smaller. If I did it would be around 8" from the basking spot and 5" from the other décor, it is also very bulky with it's reflector so it would take up a lot of space. Would it be alright to get a new screen but keep the UVB on top?

Edit: I forgot to mention, it it is 14% which will be quite a lot for such a short distance.
120 gallon tanks are 48x24x24-- get the UVB unobstructed for now - you want a wide hole screen no fine mesh like a screen door for it to be able to sit on top

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
120 gallon tanks are 48x24x24-- get the UVB unobstructed for now - you want a wide hole screen no fine mesh like a screen door for it to be able to sit on top
Good news, his temps have risen considerably to exactly 100f while I was out of the house! I think it was an overreaction on my part, but I will be changing my mesh very soon. I'm also going to get one of those UVB reader thingies to make sure my fixture is working how it is supposed to. I am still confused as to why he needs unobstructed UVB, his fixture is a 39w 14% meant to be on top of the mesh. If I put it in the enclosure (if it even fits) it will give him way too much exposure and cause more problems. Thanks,

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good news, his temps have risen considerably to exactly 100f while I was out of the house! I think it was an overreaction on my part, but I will be changing my mesh very soon. I'm also going to get one of those UVB reader thingies to make sure my fixture is working how it is supposed to. I am still confused as to why he needs unobstructed UVB, his fixture is a 39w 14% meant to be on top of the mesh. If I put it in the enclosure (if it even fits) it will give him way too much exposure and cause more problems. Thanks,
the 14% is being blocked by the mesh --- if you take the screen off the tank distance should be 17-18 inches - I would do that just to see what kind of response your going to get - UVB reader cards are not any good - you want a solar meter Amazon.com

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
the 14% is being blocked by the mesh --- if you take the screen off the tank distance should be 17-18 inches - I would do that just to see what kind of response your going to get - UVB reader cards are not any good - you want a solar meter Amazon.com
Ok, this is all good to know... I'll try that, the only issue is no matter how hard I try I can't stop my cats from jumping on the top. If what your implying is to remove the mesh all together, that will pose a massive risk. Beneath my bed is pretty cluttered so they could sneak under and when I leave they could crawl out and do more harm than good. I'll order a solar meter immediately, we''ll see how that turns out when it gets here.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 14% is more than strong enough to stay on top of your screen at that distance. That's why the 14% was created, to be effective at further distances.

In fact, it's probably too strong without a screen to throttle it back a bit at that distance. Keep the screen. Solves your cat issue and still will be allowing a proper UVI level for the enclosure, assuming it's in a fixture with reflector.

What material was your basking surface made of? Ir thermometers can be very far off depending on the material.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
The 14% is more than strong enough to stay on top of your screen at that distance. That's why the 14% was created, to be effective at further distances.

In fact, it's probably too strong without a screen to throttle it back a bit at that distance. Keep the screen. Solves your cat issue and still will be allowing a proper UVI level for the enclosure, assuming it's in a fixture with reflector.

What material was your basking surface made of? Ir thermometers can be very far off depending on the material.

-Brandon
Not too sure about material, it is a rock hide that was originally made for aquariums but I repurposed it for reptiles instead. It is directly under the basking bulb and half under the UVB so he gets exposure while basking.

I haven’t actually taken off the mesh covering, his temps returned to a safe level and he is very much alert and active throughout the day. I don’t believe it will be much of an issue.

I’m getting a better mesh when I buy his forever home, which, do to certain circumstances will only be a 75-80 gallon. I really appreciate all of your consistent advice, so, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom