If I had the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Saturday I was spending time away from my Son's end of season Soccer party so I spent that time at the pet store nearby. I go in there from time to time to look around. I don't say anything anymore because I've gotten shot down on my comments (as if they know what's best). A pair of dragons together on sand, lots of babies beardies in a tiny aquarium w/crickets hopping all over them, green iquanas in a cage that doesn't have anything other than the wiring at the bottom.

But this ...this broke my heart seeing this Savannah Monitor in this aquarium. I knew that size was too small for my beardie let alone a Savannah Monitor. I did notice that his/her tail had been in an accident a long time ago - not that that gives reasoning as to keeping it in that size tank. I watched it for awhile and saw it had a hard time turning around ...can't imagine why! I couldn't stand it any longer so I left the store as it was just too sad to witness!

IMAG0082.jpg

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Boy do I understand all too well. This is why I refuse to go to pet stores anymore. I buy everything online.
I get too emotional looking at these poor creatures and wish I could save them all. :(

5gazehounds

That is awful! I feel so bad for that poor Monitor. :cry:

I had a Savannah Monitor growing up and his tank was a custom made one that took up a wall in the house. He was happy and fairly active because he had room to roam.

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
This one certainly didn't look happy at all! Looking at it, it was if it was saying "Take me home, please PLEASE rescue me as I'm way too big and uncomfortable in this tiny tank"

Livey

Extreme Poster
I agree with Dawn I refrain from going into Unknown pet shops and what not,
I just hate what im going to find...
Poor little Guy! i would buy him! I love savannah Monitors :love5:
Its sad to see him all cooped up!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Agreed too, it reminds me I was at my local pet shop and went to hold the sub-adult male they have there, like I always do. Got to his already small enclosure and there were 2 more sub-adults in there. I was like wtf? Really? I told one of the guys that it disappointed me and he said he knows, he wasn't sure why they were all in one tank either but, he didn't have much say over it. If I had the room too... come to think of it I might have to make room. I feel so bad for him, plus he is such a cool little guy.

Floof

Juvie Member
Well, they're doing one thing right that a lot of people don't--water dish and and a humidity-friendly substrate. It always makes me sick to see Savannahs and the like (Sulcata tortoises come to mind.. There's a reason they burrow, and pee in those burrows!) kept bone-dry, no water dish or humid hide, on sand or something equally dehydrating...

But, that doesn't even hold a candle to the epic screw-up that is that absolutely tiny enclosure. And one can't help but seriously wonder what serious screw-up caused it to be tailless... :( I have the same thought: If I had room, you can bet I'd be whipping up some neat-o 8 ft enclosures for some Savvie rescues. Along with enclosures for all the other big and scaly things [Iggies and Sullies, anyone?] I want to rescue... Urgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom