I need some advice about salads...

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi there. For reference, I have a 6 month old bearded dragon. In the past he's been amazing at eating his well sized salad daily but recently (approx the 28th of July, 3 days ago) he's lost all interest in salad altogether. I swear, I've tried every trick in the book but nothing is working. I've...

1) changed up his greens
He has no interest in any of them

2) I've added his favorite food (bell pepper)
He'll nibble on a few but pick them apart from the rest

3) I've tried adding small feeder bugs (bsfl, superworms, etc) as lures
He'll pick them out of the salad

4) I've tried using bee pollen
He won't even look at it

5) I've tried food toppers
He doesn't care

6) I've held some in front of him
He'll totally ignore it, even if it is bell peppers

7) I've delayed his bug feedings
He won't eat until then

What should I do instead? Anything I missed? Have any of you had this experience before?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there. For reference, I have a 6 month old bearded dragon. In the past he's been amazing at eating his well sized salad daily but recently (approx the 28th of July, 3 days ago) he's lost all interest in salad altogether. I swear, I've tried every trick in the book but nothing is working. I've...

1) changed up his greens
He has no interest in any of them

2) I've added his favorite food (bell pepper)
He'll nibble on a few but pick them apart from the rest

3) I've tried adding small feeder bugs (bsfl, superworms, etc) as lures
He'll pick them out of the salad

4) I've tried using bee pollen
He won't even look at it

5) I've tried food toppers
He doesn't care

6) I've held some in front of him
He'll totally ignore it, even if it is bell peppers

7) I've delayed his bug feedings
He won't eat until then

What should I do instead? Anything I missed? Have any of you had this experience before?
Ok he's going thru a phase hopefully he will come out if it - keep offering the salads try some horn worms and silk worms in the salad they stick to everything - but he needs his protein - how many feedings of insects are you feeding a day? If 2 cut back to one w/ salads offered in the morning first

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Welcome to picky beardies, we all feel your pain and most of us have gone/are going through it.
Persistence is all you can do. Just keep trying, they do the same thing with bigs sometimes also. I think they do it just to keep us stressed out lol.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I usually offer 35 crickets a day, split into two feedings of 15 and one of 5 throughout the day. He gets around 20 BSFL a day when they are available, superworms are fed rarely (I tend to avoid the more expensive feeders). I can try the hornworms and silkworms next time I'm out shopping for feeders, thank goodness it's just a phase! I just bought new greens so I'm hoping he grows out of it before they wilt!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Welcome to picky beardies, we all feel your pain and most of us have gone/are going through it.
Persistence is all you can do. Just keep trying, they do the same thing with bigs sometimes also. I think they do it just to keep us stressed out lol.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep trying, I've been gut loading his feeders so he'll get what nutrients he can out of them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I usually offer 35 crickets a day, split into two feedings of 15 and one of 5 throughout the day. He gets around 20 BSFL a day when they are available, superworms are fed rarely (I tend to avoid the more expensive feeders). I can try the hornworms and silkworms next time I'm out shopping for feeders, thank goodness it's just a phase! I just bought new greens so I'm hoping he grows out of it before they wilt!
It is cheaper to get all your insects on line -
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.aafeeders.com
Fluker's Cricket Farms - Live Crickets Feeder Insects Online Delivered to Your Home
Try those websites

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Holy cow- that sure is cheap, do they charge for shipping? I'll definitely be using those! Thanks so much,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom