Humidity/Ants in Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomboy1988

Juvie Member
Okay so for the past few days I've been struggling with the humidity in the Viv. One minute it will be at 40, the next it jumps to 65... I'm not sure why. I've taken the water dish out, moved the tank, nothing is helping. Is there anything else I can try? I'm going to look at moving my turtle tank out of there, it's probably causing the higher humidity, but the only tank that I'm struggling with is my dragon's! My tortoises are fine, it's just HER tank.. Any advice is welcome or any experience in the struggle is welcome also. I want to see low 40's or less on the meter, not 60s. I put 2 seperate meters in there. Problem is, one says 45%, one says 63%... I've got to find a way to see which is correct because this is frustrating.

And the deal witht he ants, they are everywhere. I have cleaned her cage out, washed the carpet with water and all then dried it, sprayed no odor bug spray outsideher cage (NO chance it got near her. Same Stuff I've used around the tortoises for years) Anyway, the ants came right back. I know they're driving Anara nuts but I can't use bug spray in her viv, only around it. Any ideas?

Valex

Hatchling Member
I would invest in a digital hydrometer. The dials and such can be off by a lot, as you can see. :wink: Your humidity is probably fine, just not reading correctly. That would be my guess.

As for the ants... I would move the viv, those ants scare me. I just can imagine what could possibly happen.. I won't share because well it is quite disturbing..

:idea: OHH! Thought, you say you've been using it for years.. the ants near you may have built up an amunity to it through the generations.. maybe try a differnet pestiside. :D :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: I feel absolutly brilliant right now. :mrgreen: haha.

Good Luck!

tomboy1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I know what happened with the ants. I had a mini fridge sitting there until yesterday, they built a colony under there, like in the carpet. Moved the dragon tank, sprayed under it, let dry, viola! No more ants. Stragglers here and there outside of the tank but they are quickly killed. No more issues with that as of now.

As for humidity, I'll look into that tomorrow. I've been a nervous wreck. Her tank doesn't feel humid to me.. But you know, still a chance. A digital is better? Want to make sure before I replace everything you know? Still looking to move the turtle tank just incase. I think it'll make the room more liveable and give it much more space. Thank you for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom