how to tell if he's sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H3RB

ok so i got my beardie 1 week and 5 days ago, in this time he's pooped 4 times... ate 2 SMALL crickets and a pinch of salad.
all he wants to do is sleep, he moves but not as energetic as he was when we chose him at the store (chose him because he was the liveliest)

the tank is 30 inches x 12 x 15
i have a 24inch reptisun 10, closest point to the light is 8inches its not covered by glass or plastic. i have a 75w infer red heat lamp http://www.aquapet.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=17 similar to that one only the top of mine is black so it doesnt give off much red light
my temps are (taken with a digital probe)
105-115 in basking spot depending on my room temp but never drops below 105
temp in cool end is 86 at lowest recording so far
over night temps stay around 68 with no lights on.
we have tried feeding him, crickets, squash (only stuff he eats) mint, parsley and various other plants/leaves it says to use on beautiful dragons.
he barely eats anything at all
his poo keeps its form and is a slight but only very slight green
at night he goes a VERY pale yellow and almost stone cold
his tail and 2 back claws are going orange (but i know they change colour)
he has a log and rock to bask on and does so usually with his mouth wide open.
he gets bathed every day for about 15mins in warm water, he only poops in the bath so sometimes bath time is cut short
he's 9.5 inches long and weighs 36g

dont no what else to add but im worried about him. could there be anything wrong? surely he cant still be getting use to his tank he was very lively the first night. any help is great thanks

Venom508

Juvie Member
well it sounds as though you are doing everything right.

what substrate are you using

just give him some time some beardies take longer than others to settle completley

are his stress marks showing? they look like dark black or gray ovals on his belly

i really have no idea but yeah id say just give him time

H3RB

Original Poster
he only has stress marks every now and again but thats when he doesnt want his bath, he has barely eaten anything since we had him but i tried him with some crickets again today and he ate the last 10-15 :blob5: so i went to the pet store and bought him some more and hes just ate a whole tub apart from about 9.
so glad he's finally eating and he even looks fatter already lol

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Really glad hes doing well now! Gizmo has just started eating after 2 weeks and a good shed!

Just a bit of advice though, dont use a red light, beardies thrive under bright white light as it protects there eyes from the UBV emissions. The same watt buld in bright white may make him more acitve still! :D

H3RB

Original Poster
yeah while i was at the store i got a sun glo basking bulb and replaced my heat glo with it temps are fine :D

chancellor91

Juvie Member
i would be carful with the sunglow bulb, all you really need is a halogen 60 watt bulb or somthing for basking from homedepot, and those do not ever have any problems, that is what i would recomend and they are much cheaper and safer, a few things i noticed, one the cool side of the tank needs to be at least 80 or lower! this is important so your dragon can thermoregulate it self, red lighting is bad, and make sure you have no lighting on at night at all, because that will keep him up all night, and also what kind of substrate are you using as stated ealier, this is important, and your beardie will not probably want to eat salad much untill he gets a little older, thank god mine finaly took to it at only 5 months, she loves it, but she will only eat it when i first put it in there, gotta be fresh i guess :mrgreen: fancy beardie lol

H3RB

Original Poster
im using news paper as a substrate, i turn both bulbs off at night and the temps sit around 70°
what sort of things should i be carefull with in regards to the sun glo bulb? i tried a normal 60w bulb and the temps wouldnt get high enough so thats why i bought the sun glo bulb

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I buy a higher wattage and link it up to a dimmer, there easy to instal, and allow me to adjust the light output to get the right temps, either that or a dimmerstat/thermostat, but these can get pricy!
:)

H3RB

Original Poster
when i get his new viv in sept im going to be getting everything perfect before i put him in so ill be looking for ideas soon :study:

chancellor91

Juvie Member
if i am correct, but i actually think i was thinking of a different bulb, but sunglow could cause eye problems, not really sure tbh, is it a compact? or coil

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Also becareful of it hitting the 115 mark. Id try and keep it between 100f and 110f at the max. Just to be on the safeside. Im really happy your little one is doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom