How severe is this impaction? (x-ray picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing tonight?
You can use the black cherry concentrate, that is fine. Just use a small amount, .5ml or so to help.
If the syringe feeding seems to be stressing her, you could feed every other day to give her a little bit of a break. I am glad you got the critical care ordered for her. I hope she likes it!
Is her beard still black?
She didn't throw up at all today?
The laxatives can be rough on her system absolutely. Be sure she doesn't prolapse by pushing or straining too hard.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

CathyJ

Original Poster
Thanks, Tracie!

I will go get the juice after work today and see how she takes to it.
I think I'll skip feeding her today, too. If she keeps getting so close to vomiting it might be because she's got too much junk in her stomach.

Her beard always returns to normal after she calms down (usually 30sec to a minute after she's almost thrown up/gets too tired from moving about). I also think I'm stressing her with my presence so I've given her a little privacy curtain.

I also got some water-based lube for her butt if she pushes too hard again. I don;t think mineral oil is what you're supposed to use.

She's looking alright today. Her tail is def looking a lot better too! Not nearly as skinny as before.

CathyJ

Original Poster
Sorry for the double posts.. It seems everytime I assume nothing is going to happen and write a summary of things Meryl does something new lol

So she just started pushing a lot again this morning so I took the opportunity to go in there with the water-based lube and "massage" her cloaca with it(on a q-tip) to get all(if any) of the leftover mineral oil out. Then I took a dry q-tip to remove the access lube.
At least her cloaca looks good. She pushed it out like how she did in previous pictures, but it goes back in and looks pink rather than red so I assume it isn't irritated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is quite alright! :D They do keep us on our toes. It sounds like Meryl is doing pretty well then today.
At least it sounds like her little hiney isn't irritated then that is good news for her.
I hope she doesn't mind the black cherry juice too much! I am happy to hear her tail is looking better at the base, so she is slowly gaining some weight?
Has she not thrown up at all today? I hope she is feeling better soon. Good though that her beard goes back to normal color then once she calms down. Poor thing, she is hanging in there.

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

CathyJ

Original Poster
She still hasn't stopped pushing ):

This morning I heard her rustling around and by the time I went down to her I saw she was already pushing. I put her in the light about 7:00 and it's 7:45 and she hasn't stopped pushing..

I force-fed a chicken+grnbeens+squash+water puree just so she has something in her stomach.

Today's the day I take her to the other vet so I hope they can help..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad she has her new vet appt. today, I was going to ask you when she was going to go. Show them the X-ray from your other vet + see what this one says, the new vet will probably take an X-ray as well. I hope you feel more comfortable with this one and have better communication. Keep her warm at the vets., they can be on the chilly side for a reptile. I'm really hoping for the best for Meryl !

CathyJ

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I put Meryl down today..

The vet explained that it was actually her gallbladder that was hardened.. He suspected she had some sort of kidney disease and that the only real thing he could suggest was exploratory surgery to try and get an idea of what was causing the gallbladder to be like that. He predicted that she probably wouldn't survive the surgery and even if she did, it may not guarantee that she would overcome the kidney problems.
He also said that the Colcichine or whatever that she had been prescribed was a "controversial" type of medicine. Not really sure what that means, he explained it a bit but I was a bit flustered about things and forgot. I don't know if it actually played a part here, but perhaps if it's prescribed to others they might want to question if it's really necessary.

Poor thing.. I am very upset she had to go like that but at least she's not suffering anymore..

The vet was going to dissect her to see if his suspicions were correct and what exactly was going on. I will update you guys on it if you'd like.

I'd also like to post a picture of Meryl before she was sick.. She really was a cute little girl.
2246_1106743505890_618_n.jpg

RIP

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, no I'm so terribly sorry !! :( I know you are just heartbroken, and this is going to be so sad even for those who followed this thread but never met her. My heart truly goes out to you. That's a WONDERFUL picture of her, a pretty girl that had a great home and a good long life with you Cathy. I just can't say enough how sorry I am. Thankfully this vet knew what was up and she is not suffering one bit at all, and she didn't suffer for long .

CathyJ

Original Poster
Yea, I know.. Poor girl. She will be missed.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that he believed that all that pushing and pushing was a sign of renal failure.

I am very thankful to all of you for offering your advice and help. It's really nice to have a community to help you out when you're in a pickle like I was.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just read this whole thread. I am SO very sorry it had to come to this ending. You certainly tried everything you could and what a fighter she was. This vet looked at the whole picture and it sounds like you had no choice except to relieve her of this pain. I'm sure she knew she was very loved. What a gorgeous girl. Again, I am very sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom