how i take care of reggie

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
so it's been a while since ive posted on here so i figured i would come on here and give an updated way that i care for reggie to see if everythings going good. he is almost 7 months old. hes around 15 inches long. hes beginning to outgrow the scale but last i checked he was 325 grams. he is in a 4x2x2 tank. the cool side is normally between 77-80 degrees. the basking spot is normally 91-93 degrees. i know that thats low but he doesnt seem to mind. he spends more time on the branch under the basking spot than the hammock under the basking spot(which is the warmest spot). he normally poops everyday. he has a t5 uvb that i got in march. he eats mostly dubias. he gets 10 dubias every morning dusted in calcium with D3. he also gets offered 2 dusted superworms that he has recently stopped eating. in the afternoons he eats as many as he wants. ive noticed a decrease in his appetite lately(probably a few weeks) but hes acting normal. could this just be due to him growing up? he gets a salad everyday that contains things like turnip greens, collard greens, mustard greens, kale, okra, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini(sometimes cooked sometimes raw), squash(sometimes cooked sometimes raw) black berries, blue berries, and strawberries. i dont really see him eat it but it normally looks somewhat eaten the next day. is there any changes or anything that you guys recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
so it's been a while since ive posted on here so i figured i would come on here and give an updated way that i care for reggie to see if everythings going good. he is almost 7 months old. hes around 15 inches long. hes beginning to outgrow the scale but last i checked he was 325 grams. he is in a 4x2x2 tank. the cool side is normally between 77-80 degrees. the basking spot is normally 91-93 degrees. i know that thats low but he doesnt seem to mind. he spends more time on the branch under the basking spot than the hammock under the basking spot(which is the warmest spot). he normally poops everyday. he has a t5 uvb that i got in march. he eats mostly dubias. he gets 10 dubias every morning dusted in calcium with D3. he also gets offered 2 dusted superworms that he has recently stopped eating. in the afternoons he eats as many as he wants. ive noticed a decrease in his appetite lately(probably a few weeks) but hes acting normal. could this just be due to him growing up? he gets a salad everyday that contains things like turnip greens, collard greens, mustard greens, kale, okra, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini(sometimes cooked sometimes raw), squash(sometimes cooked sometimes raw) black berries, blue berries, and strawberries. i dont really see him eat it but it normally looks somewhat eaten the next day. is there any changes or anything that you guys recommend?
He's getting enough food for him to weigh 325 grams at 7 months- can you post a pic of him please-- it's normal for them to slow down on eating mine did around 8 months-

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
He's getting enough food for him to weigh 325 grams at 7 months- can you post a pic of him please-- it's normal for them to slow down on eating mine did around 8 months-

Attachments

• 20230625_144550.jpg
    20230625_144550.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230625_144553.jpg
    20230625_144553.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh yes he is definitely a hefty boy--- how often is Reggi pooping? I would not let him eat as many insects as he wants --- he is really good size and you dont want him gaining any more weight for the length he is now - let him grow into his stomach now meaning length wise - he will grow another 5-7 inches I am thinking -- average is around 20-22 inches -- if hes still hungry I would give him more salads - I know they say to feed as many insects as he will eat when under a year old but he seems to be big for his age --- lets see what some others think on this I could be wrong
@AHBD
@Drache613
@CooperDragon

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Oh yes he is definitely a hefty boy--- how often is Reggi pooping? I would not let him eat as many insects as he wants --- he is really good size and you dont want him gaining any more weight for the length he is now - let him grow into his stomach now meaning length wise - he will grow another 5-7 inches I am thinking -- average is around 20-22 inches -- if hes still hungry I would give him more salads - I know they say to feed as many insects as he will eat when under a year old but he seems to be big for his age --- lets see what some others think on this I could be wrong
@AHBD
@Drache613
@CooperDragon
normally he poops around everyday. he hasnt pooped in a day or 2 tho so im gonna give him a warm soak and gentle belly massage today or tomorrow probably. how many insects would you say he should be getting a day? would 20 be good? and should i still feed bugs everyday or should i do every other day or something? i forgot to mention that the salads are always fed with a sprinkle of bee pollen.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
normally he poops around everyday. he hasnt pooped in a day or 2 tho so im gonna give him a warm soak and gentle belly massage today or tomorrow probably. how many insects would you say he should be getting a day? would 20 be good? and should i still feed bugs everyday or should i do every other day or something? i forgot to mention that the salads are always fed with a sprinkle of bee pollen.
i went ahead and gave him a bath and a nice belly massage and he pooped in the tub. then of course he had to run through it and get nasty so i had to rinse him off. hes basking now.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Something i notice in your pics are the zip ties. I would hit walmart or an automotive store and pick up a cheap pair of dykes/sidecut pliers and trim those tag ends as close as possible to the little square zippy part of the zip tie. Anything poking out like that could cause an eye injury.
This is a couple pics of the pliers I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 20230625_142757.jpg
    20230625_142757.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230625_142746.jpg
    20230625_142746.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 63

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Something i notice in your pics are the zip ties. I would hit walmart or an automotive store and pick up a cheap pair of dykes/sidecut pliers and trim those tag ends as close as possible to the little square zippy part of the zip tie. Anything poking out like that could cause an eye injury.
This is a couple pics of the pliers I'm talking about.
alright im pretty sure we have something like that. ive noticed when i cut zipties that they tend to be kind of sharp at the corner. is that gonna be a problem?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It can be yes, I'm a mechanic and i can tell ya first hand they can scratch the heck outta you.
The trick to it is to align the jaws of the cutters as close to parallel to the zipper on the zip ties as close as possible.
If i remember correctly your younger/teenager, that being said another thing that can be done is to use a cigarette lighter to melt the sharp edge. (IF I'M REMEMBERING CORRECTLY AND YOU ARE YOUNGER, PLEASE GET A PARENT TO DO THAT).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks good but just slightly chunky so you can just cut down on the number of insects that you feed him daily. If it's 20, cut down to 12-15.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
It can be yes, I'm a mechanic and i can tell ya first hand they can scratch the heck outta you.
The trick to it is to align the jaws of the cutters as close to parallel to the zipper on the zip ties as close as possible.
If i remember correctly your younger/teenager, that being said another thing that can be done is to use a cigarette lighter to melt the sharp edge. (IF I'M REMEMBERING CORRECTLY AND YOU ARE YOUNGER, PLEASE GET A PARENT TO DO THAT).
Lol yeah I'm a teen. We'll cut them and if they feel sharp we'll melt them down a little. Thanks for the tip!

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
He looks good but just slightly chunky so you can just cut down on the number of insects that you feed him daily. If it's 20, cut down to 12-15.
Normally I give ten dusted in the mornings then the rest in the after noon but sense he's gonna be eating less I assume I'll need to split the meals evenly which means 10 in the morning wont work. Would doing 7 dusted in the morning give him enough calcium or would I need to dust some extra in the afternoon to make up for it?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
There is no way of knowing how much of the calcium (by weight, volume ect) they actually process so i think we tend to over supplement anyways. Dusting just the morning bugs should be just fine, even split by half 🙂

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom