HELP! Very limp and sleepy dragon who has not eaten in 4 d

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmm2104

We bought our beardie "Tank" from petsmart on Aug. 7th. he is only about 5 inches long and i was told hes probably about 4-5 weeks old. I did ask a few questions over the weekend and figured out it was the UVB bulb. We started with the reptisun 10.0 coil bulb and was told to change it to the tube. So we got the reptiglo 10.0 and was told to get the reptisun which i can only find online :banghead: and wont be here untill the end of this week. All theses problems started when i got the reptiglo so i changed it back to the coil bulb today hoping he would go back toi the way he was when we had this bulb in but he has gotten worse. My setup all but the UVB is good temps are good and food size is good. We bathe daily and ive checked for impaction lumps and cant find any. Today is now the 4th day without eating anything and Tank is very limp and hasnt moved besides when ive picked him up and has just been sleeping all day :( I dont know what to do now. is there any other food i can force feed him? How long can they go without eating? Can this really be just from the UVB lighting being that it all happened so quickly? What else could this be? Sorry for so many questions i am just so worried :cry: . Thank you in advance for any answers.

tank8-1.jpg

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi, Sorry to hear your baby isn't doing well. To be honest, yes all this can be laid right at those lights. It's like us not ever having any kind of sunshine.. We get extremely pale, lose our appetites, so why should these babies be any different ?
I would highly suggest that you do get a Reptisun on order. Once that is in place you will see a change in several days to a week or so. In the meantime, turn off and remove any coils or glos, and use a bright white light .
Janie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

To specifically answer your question regarding how quickly UVB lighting can cause problems....yes, especially when they are ones which have been known to cause eye problems & health problems. However, I do need a bit more information from you such as were you using a bright white basking light in combination with either bulb?
The coils/compact lights are absolutely horrible in emissions & do produce hazardous wavelengths which will cause harm if they are left under them for too long. I think the combination of switching back & forth from one bad light to another, then back again it has stressed him out.
For now, I would just have a bright white basking light on him with NO UVB at all for a week or so to give his body time to recover.
The best thing you can do right now is to start rehydrating him with giving a daily bath along with oral fluids using a plastic dropper. Those lights will cause dehydration so that is probably one major problem right now.
How do his eyes look, are they sunken in at all, or are they elevated?

Thanks for posting Janie! :D

Tracie

cmm2104

Original Poster
I am using the 100 watts "All Living Things" incandescent basking white light bulb. Thats whgat we have used with both of the uvb lights. He eyes are still elevated and hes been drinking in the bath every time. I just gave him some chicken baby food, he didnt eat much, maybe 10 licks or so. How often should i feed him the baby food? So i caused this by switching thje lights? When we first got him he was green and then about the time this all started he turned tan and now hes back to green but not as dark as when we first got him. I didnt think the light change would stress him out as well. I feel horrible now. I turned off the coil uvb light and now only the white basking light is on. Is there anything else i can do for him right now? Would it be a good idea to take him outside in the sun? Again thank you all for the help!

cmm2104

Original Poster
How often should i feed him the chicken baby food since hes not eating much of it? Should i just try every couple hours? Since he ate the baby food and i turned out the uvb light he seems much more alert and awake! :D 100% better than a few hours ago. Thank you all again for the help, i greatly appreciate it!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can try to feed him small amounts of babyfood in increments of .5ml or so 3-4 times per day if he will take that for you.
How is he doing this evening?
He is already looking better now? That is great. Please keep us posted on him. I hope he continues improving for you. :D

Tracie

cmm2104

Original Poster
He is at least staying awake with his head up now :D , so thats much better than yesterday! He wouldnt eat any more baby food for me last night or so far today. But i will try again in an hour or so. Thank you all for the help and concerns. The reptiSun shipped today so i should be getting it by thurs :D . Should i put calcium dust on the baby food? Again thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom