help pleaese

Status
Not open for further replies.

burt1016

Juvie Member
:cry: i dont want to loose another one. my beardie.......... i dont know he is not eating like the past 2 that died. for the first week great eats 30 crix daily and litle salad. but then like the past 2 after the 2 week mark he stops eating and looks dead. he is only a few weeks old and got him from a breeder. the first one i got died in the first 4 weeks because of not eating and impaction. then we went nd got 2 more from him. one died and this one is not eating. Here is a list of what i use and his tank:
100 watt heat bulb
repti-sun 10.0 uvb bulb
a stick and a rock for basking
temps: 105, 80
substrate is reptile carpet
food is crickets and occasiolnaly a bite of salad
a bowl of water

that is it. can some one please tell me what i am doing wrong or if it is me or the breeders dragons. he keeps around 35 few week old dragon in a 10 gallon and they are piled up on each other and the tank is messy and smells horible :puke: and not all of them look 100% healthy but no one else was located in colorado that i could find!!!!!!!!

Please please please please please help dont want to loose the 3rd :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
When I was at the Reptile show last Sunday I went to a talk by a reptile vet from the Phoenix area. He said that a great majority of the reptiles that are taken into his office with illnesses, those illnesses are due to husbandry issues.

This said, I would like to know what size of tank you have the baby in. I also would like to know what you take your temps with. I have my newest baby in a 20 gallon tank. I found out before I got her that a 75 watt house bulb makes the basking spot way, way to hot. The 60 watt house bulb I used made it to cold. I had to use a 60 watt bulb and raise the basking spot up to make it the correct temp. Last Monday I set up the 40 breeder tank for Speedy and moved Zoom Zoom (speedys new [?] sister) into the 20 gallon. I only use a 75 watt for the 40 breeder tank, of course the basking spot there is up toward the top of the tank.

When we got Speedy 5 weeks ago the mother told me that they had trouble getting the temps at the correct spot in the winter. I believe speedy was to hot in that tank because when I got her home with the tank they had for her, I noticed she had one of those 6' ruler sized stick on thermometers, but she put it on the OUTSIDE of the tank. She had NO IDEA of the correct temps inside of the tank as the best way to get the good temps is by using either a digital thermometer with probe or with a temp gun. I'm beginning to think I need a temp gun to correctly get the correct temps where my girls are at because they tend to sit on the probe, which doesn' help.

What could be wrong is that your beardie is too hot. The only way a 100 watt bulb would be good enough is if you had a very large tank. It is suggested to give beardies a soak in warm, not hot, water for 10 to 15 minutes 3 times a week, unless they are really dehydrated, in which case the times per week need to be increased.

I hope this novel helps you a little to figure out what's wrong. The reptisun 10 you are using is good, how close can your beardie get to it?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Is the reptisun 10 a coil or a fluorescent tube? If it's a coil, that could be your problem. Does he keep his eyes closed a lot?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
So you got them all from the same breeder?Did you have a fecal done?I am guessing theres something going on with parasitic infection judging by how they were kept previously.Can you get this guy to a vet? How does his poop look? When the first one died did you do a really good cleanout of the tank?Did you change the repticarpet?

burt1016

Juvie Member
Original Poster
it is a tube no fecal. i dont know any vet in colorado denver can someone please tel me a good one. i cleaned out the tank. no i did not change the carpet

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok try herpvetconnection.com to find a vet.Ditch the repticarpet it may be olding something.Use papertowels for now until you figure out whats wrong wit him.I remember going through your setup with you before so I am just leaning towards something they carried over from the breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom