Help Our bearded Dragon just laid eggs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenlake

We have a bearded dragon as a pet. THe Dragon was digging for the past few days and we had no idea why. Well we came home today and she has eggs in her cage. What do we do? They are still in the cage...Help. Freaking out...

Greenlake

Original Poster
Our bearded dragon we have as a pet. The dragon was digging the past couple of days and we had no idea why. We left the house today and came home there are eggs in her cage. What do we do with them? Would a breeder want them. Do we need to clean her cage out? Can't find any info for what we need to do?
THank you.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Has she ever been with a male dragon? If not, then the eggs are infertile and you can throw them out (you can freeze them first just to make sure). Give her extra treats and calcium to make up for what her body gave up to the eggs.

Greenlake

Original Poster
Thank you... What suggestions on "treats". We just pretty much feed cricuts and Bearded Dragon Style Salad.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
If she hasn't ever been with a male, then they are not fertilized and can be frozen and tossed. You will want to make a lay box, as you may see this again in about a month.
Lay box- 18 qt Rubber maid container with lid , 1 pk of play sand, 1 pk of potting soil, 1 clamp on shop lamp with house hold flood lamp (halogen).
Combine the soil and sand to make a clumping mix. Add just enough water so that when you take a bit between your fingers and pinch, you get a drop of water. Pile the mixture on half of the bin.
Take the lid and cut an opening on half. Mount the clamp light at the opening, so the light is facing diagonally towards the mix.
Place your girl inside and let her go. This will most likely take a few days to complete, and she will not be interested in food or drink.
Once she is done, remove her from the lay box, and give her a good soak.
Place her back into her living viv. You will also want to up the amount of calcium with D3 and feeding as she will expend a great deal of energy and nutrients during this process.
Hope this helps !
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Check out BeautifulDragons Nutrition list. It has in Green, daily foods; in Black, occasional treats; in Red, Blue and Yellow, not recommended.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

Greenlake

Original Poster
How many eggs do they lay? how long does this go on for? She just laid another one in her cage. Thanks...no one told us about the egg laying when we purchased Lizzy.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
As many as 20 or more. If you got your girl from a ps, most won't or don't know enough up to date information, your best bet is here or on other forums dedicated to bearded dragons, as we want the best for our pets/owners ;)
Janie.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
I noticed you had two topics posted on this so to make sure there is no multiple posts and to keep the confusion down to a minimum I have merged them together as one.Do you have a sandbox for her?It would be best and most convenient if she had a box of moistened sand to lay her eggs in.Has she ever been with a male?The number of eggs varies especially depending on if they are infertile or not.You need to make sure she stays well hydrated so bathe her daily.You will also want to up her calcium intake for the next couple of weeks to at least 5xper day.Make sure she gets extra protien and veggies as well.If you see her health begin to decline at all or if you see she is aving difficulties pooping then you will need to make an appointment with a vet to make sure she isnt egg bound?ow old is she?Generally as long as she is old enough and it good health they pass the eggs fairly easily without much of a problem I just wanted to make sure you were aware to watch for signs of trouble.

Vicky

Greenlake

Original Poster
She is a year. We purchased her at a reptile store that is closed tonight and tomorrow so we were unable to call them. They are great for helping to answer questions but since they are not open till Tuesday we needed some immediate help. We did not know about this egg laying. She is still in her cage b/c we did not know she had to be in a special place with special bedding. Since she may be doing this again in about a month or so. My husband is going to have a place for her to lay the eggs. We don't have any males and are not wanting to breed. Lizzy is our lil girl and this is quite a shocker...The kids are having fun counting the eggs. Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. This is our first bearded Dragon so we are learning a lot as we go.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom