HELP! Beardie ate TWO PIECES of DOG FOOD!

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I had my beardie out and my dog was eating and she thought that she could help Hazel by feeding her pieces of DOG food since they're best friends. But I'm really worried will Hazel pass that by? She looks active but not as active as she usually is. This Is how big the dog piece is and Hazel right now. She doesn't look harmed or in pain.

Edit: Do I need to take her to the vet? I'm gonna keep Skye and Hazel away from food when they're together.

Attachments

• 16912556828221751167589107442237.jpg
    16912556828221751167589107442237.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 16912557391595499627382542010579.jpg
    16912557391595499627382542010579.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 66

LianneHenry

Beardie name(s)
Henry
Don’t worry too much, it is not healthy for a bearded dragon but she will survive.

Some keepers feed their feeder insects dog food (not recommended by the way) so I assume it’s not very harmful.

If she is not pooping you can give her some pumpkin or plum baby food to help digest.

But for now I would not worry, she will be fine ;)

My bearded dragon once ‘found’ an piece of plastic foam and ate it before I could take it out of his mouth. I was worries sick but he pooped it out. There is also a story on this forum of a bearded dragon passing a piece of lego!

So don’t feel too bad :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, well, at least she ate a piece of food & not an object so it should pass through. Did she
chew it up at all?
She should be just fine. If you would like to, you can give some sugar free applesauce along with
some fresh or canned pumpkin daily to help her system pass it through more quickly, as suggested.
The plum pure is a great idea also.

Tracie

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She swallowed it whole. Maybe bit down on it once but then just swallowed them both. Gave her Some Pumpkin this morning and right now is currently basking. She hasn't pooped at all and I've tried to get her to poop in her bathtub but she hasn't pooped so I'm waiting.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, it technically should break down enough to be softened to where it can be passed through.
Hopefully the pumpkin will help out. You could add a few drops of organic olive or coconut oil
(no castor oil since it is petroleum based) to help things along.
Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Tracie

I had my beardie out and my dog was eating and she thought that she could help Hazel by feeding her pieces of DOG food since they're best friends. But I'm really worried will Hazel pass that by? She looks active but not as active as she usually is. This Is how big the dog piece is and Hazel right now. She doesn't look harmed or in pain.

Edit: Do I need to take her to the vet? I'm gonna keep Skye and Hazel away from food when they're together.
I'm not a vet nor am I an expert however I have 6 beardies 4 leos and I've bred and raised about 35 beardies 43 lizards in total I personally do not think u have to worry I would make sure of two things 1 make a record of when he or she poops and then the next time they poop to make sure that they are basically still on a similar schedule to there normal! And I say a nice bath can't hurt as long as it's not an activity that would normally stress them some hate the water some love it! And I'd feed no bugs with a hard outer casing called chitin superworms are one of the worst for atleast the week u til u make sure he or she is passing everything ok then go back to ur normal diet so hornworms wud be a great feeder for this week to keep them hydrated and to have food in the belly that is easily digestible

I'm not a vet nor am I an expert however I have 6 beardies 4 leos and I've bred and raised about 35 beardies 43 lizards in total I personally do not think u have to worry I would make sure of two things 1 make a record of when he or she poops and then the next time they poop to make sure that they are basically still on a similar schedule to there normal! And I say a nice bath can't hurt as long as it's not an activity that would normally stress them some hate the water some love it! And I'd feed no bugs with a hard outer casing called chitin superworms are one of the worst for atleast the week u til u make sure he or she is passing everything ok then go back to ur normal diet so hornworms wud be a great feeder for this week to keep them hydrated and to have food in the belly that is easily digestible
I am confused about one thing tho why did u think feeding her dog food was a good idea? What is ur normal diet for him or her if u don't mind me asking and as far as should u go to the vet if he or she doesn't pass a bowel movement in the next few days I'd be a bit More concerned but if u know that he or she goes to the bathroom at least 1 time a week on the regular or every other day or every 3 days bowel movements and weight are the two best things to keep a constant running tract of bec it is the best way to determine if an animal is getting better or worse in the case of a situation or it just being sick but without a baseline getting a weight or seeing them poop one time is not enough to get an understanding of what is going on does that make sense?

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I am confused about one thing tho why did u think feeding her dog food was a good idea? What is ur normal diet for him or her if u don't mind me asking and as far as should u go to the vet if he or she doesn't pass a bowel movement in the next few days I'd be a bit More concerned but if u know that he or she goes to the bathroom at least 1 time a week on the regular or every other day or every 3 days bowel movements and weight are the two best things to keep a constant running tract of bec it is the best way to determine if an animal is getting better or worse in the case of a situation or it just being sick but without a baseline getting a weight or seeing them poop one time is not enough to get an understanding of what is going on does that make sense?
No no no. My I have a dog who is best friends with Hazel ever since My poor little Warrior (Another beardie) passed away. My dog was eating and it takes a little since My dog loves to enjoy her food and i guess My dog Skye went to go upstairs and Hazel was out and so Skye dropped two pieces of dog food in front of Hazel and Hazel ate them. I give her Kale, Collard greens, Hornworms, waxworms, Dubia Roaches, and sometimes crickets. I also give her Blueberries, Banana, and squash as a small little treat once in a while. She normally poops 1-2 times a week. Also she pooped yesterday but I was inactive so I couldn't say that sooner. I also called the vet and they said if she doesn't poop for a few more days then they'd suggest to take her in.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Also, she's still active she not getting worse.

Attachments

• 16914296958588743112075083320253.jpg
    16914296958588743112075083320253.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 16914297166425677535326664493076.jpg
    16914297166425677535326664493076.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 56

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? So she did go potty then, finally? It is a terrific sign that she isn't getting
worse & that she did pass something through. Whether or not the dog food pellets came through,
I don't know. At least though, she doesn't seem to be back up right now. Continue to watch her &
try to get extra fluids into her also.

Tracie

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel is doing good. She's currently shedding right now.
I have no idea if the pellets have passed through. I usually add extra water to her salads everyday so she gets enough water because she absolutely hates drinking out of a bowl unless if she haves to drink out of a bowl. I will continue to watch her and keep you guys updated!

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She poops again. Their is no urate whatsoever but it's solid and moist but she again doesn't look like she's getting any worse. By the way, the stuff on her head is just shed :)
Edit:Also she giving me a dirty look every time I bring out a camera 🤣

Attachments

• 16915237365488221315605403321729.jpg
    16915237365488221315605403321729.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 16915237534057144708571179943809.jpg
    16915237534057144708571179943809.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 56

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She should be just fine 🙂. The food should/has softened in her stomach. There was one a couple weeks ago that passed an entire plastic bag.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is probably getting camera shy! LOL It will eventually pass through or she just might digest
a good portion of it then pass it through.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom