Heading to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my little guy about 4 days ago and starting this morning his left eye seems to be bothering him. He seems to be keeping it closed most of the time and there appears to be some very little discharge. So we are making our first trip to the vet to get him checked out. I consulted with the pet store I got him from and they are going to take care of the vet bill. Any pointers from anyone on ?'s I should ask the vet.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there, sorry to hear that your beardie's eyes are bothering him. We didn't get to go over your setup with your yet. Could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB you're using? Is it a coil, compact, strip fluorescent or mercury vapor bulb? How close is the bulb to the basking spot? Are you using a white or colored basking bulb and what is the wattage, the size of the tank would be helpful too. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps and what are the temps? What is the substrate on the bottom of the tank?

My first thoughts about the eyes is that you are either using a coil or compact UVB which are dangerous to their eyes. Or, he got a loose substrate in his eyes. If it is from either of those 2 ideas, you can flush his eyes out with Saline solution eye wash, that seems to help give some relief. Please let us know what the vet had to say when you get a chance.

captianbeardie

Original Poster
He is in a 40 gallon breeder tank with screen cover. I have a digital temp probe on both sides. The right corner is at 90 and basking is 100 and cool side is 78. I have a clear 75w basking bulb. His uvb is a compact 26w repti glo with 10.0 uvb by "exo-terra". As far as substrate goes I have tank bottom lined with tile.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, thanks for filling us in on your setup. Everything looks good EXCEPT the compact UVB. You can read more about them here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm This company is also great to deal with. Pet stores sell the same bulb for about double the price if not more.

In the meantime, flushing his eyes with the Saline solution should help make him more comfortable. How old is your beardie? How close had the compact bulb been to him?

captianbeardie

Original Poster
From where he is in his home he is about 15 - 17 inches from the actual uvb bulb. However in the petstore I got him from he was only about 3-4 inches from the bulb. I already have his lights off for the night and am in the process of trying to find a light fixture online. So should I also replace his basking bulb to a coil too? Thank you for all your help.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that you had him that far away from the coil UVB, probably helped lessen the damage a little especially since the pet store had it so terribly close. I'm not sure what you meant about changing his basking bulb to a coil.

Janie is right, you can use a household bulb in place of the expensive reptile basking bulbs. You could try a flood light or even a 100 watt household light bulb, it depends on the temperature and also how high the basking site is to help you decide what you will need.

For a hood for the strip fluorescent, you can go to Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a standard fluorescent light like you would use over a kitchen sink, in a basement or garage, remove the plastic cover & the bulb that comes with it, pop the UVB in and leave the plastic cover off. Getting a hood at one of those places will be much cheaper or you could get a perfect-a-strip hood like this: http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquariuim-light-fixtures/516021/perfecto-fluorescent-perfect-a-strip-light-black.html

captianbeardie

Original Poster
Sweet now what size fixture should I get and also what wattage should I get for the uvb. I already have a 75w basking bulb so should I get rid of it and just get a standard flood light, and if so what would be the best wattage to use for basking? Thank you all for your help I am quickly seeing that there is a learning curve :banghead:

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Just hold onto what you have basking wise. No need to fix what isn't broken yet.
The size of fixture depends on the length of your viv. If it is 4' long, then the 36" fixture and appropriate tube is the way to go. What I did was take the tube with me, when I went shopping. In the original packaging, walmart greeters will place a red sticker on it, showing you walked in with it, like they couldn't tell.... but I digress. Then just head to the lighting section, and get your fixture ! Easy as Pie !
Janie.
Oh, that curve ? Goes down once you get the hang of all this ;)
We all want the "best" for Tex ! ;)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Janie is right, you can continue to use the 75 watt basking bulb if the temps are what they should be. You need a basking bulb and a fluorescent UVB. The fluorescent bulbs don't throw off heat so that's why you need both. We know it's confusing, but we're here to help you every step of the way. :wink:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you mean hood for the fluorescent UVB? If so, that you can get at Walmart or one of these: http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquariuim-light-fixtures/516021/perfecto-fluorescent-perfect-a-strip-light-black.html I have the strip lights like the ones pictured, they sit nice & flat on the top of the screen but a lot of owners use the ones from Walmart. You decide on what length bulb you want, then order the wattage fluorescent UVB that it pertains to. All the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent bulbs are great. Hope that helps.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
As much of the length as you can readily fit, and still be able to get at the fixture should you need to do maintenance on it.
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom