Has anyone seen a beardie do this?

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello, a little history my beardie is 6.5 months old approximately, he had parasites for months and now he has gout. I took him to our (regular) vet right away the 1st time he did this and she said he is breathing fine and this may be a pain response from the gout. He's been on pain meds for a week and he had totally stopped doing it but now he's started again. You can't see or hear it in this video but he does this little yelp noise at the end each time he does this. It's not a respiratory infection either we ruled that out. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've seen my beardies do it, something like a burp is what it seems. How long was your boy on anti coccidia and other parasitic meds ? Was he eating well before going on the meds ? Your dragon having gout at such a young age , I'm wondering if it was chronic dehydration from a lot of medication which affects the kidneys.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
I've seen my beardies do it, something like a burp is what it seems. How long was your boy on anti coccidia and other parasitic meds ? Was he eating well before going on the meds ? Your dragon having gout at such a young age , I'm wondering if it was chronic dehydration from a lot of medication which affects the kidneys.
When you have seen them do this was it almost back to back for a long time? He is just finishing his 2nd round of Coccidia medicine. He's been on it for a couple months. I believe you may be right though. He did eat good but may not have been hydrated enough. I wasn't really warned about that at all with the meds. Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, I haven't seen mine do that repetitively but yours might be reacting to having constant meds. in his stomack. I really think it's harmful to put them on strong meds. for months at a time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Meds are definitely hard on their systems!
Have you been giving any probiotics while
he has been on medication?

Tracie

Bearded joey

Beardie name(s)
Joey
How much calcium is he getting? And uvb? It kinda looks like his limbs are swollen which could be too much calcium and I have read that they lick the air like a snake to see what is the area

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
How much calcium is he getting? And uvb? It kinda looks like his limbs are swollen which could be too much calcium and I have read that they lick the air like a snake to see what is the area
Calcium and uvb are on point. Unfortunately he has gout. Good eye.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello

I am just seeing the video, I guess it didn't show for me or I missed it.
Did you take him to the vet already but they didn't give any Gout medications, just the
pain medication?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom