Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnzey71

I’ve had my beardie for 2-3 months and handling is still a pain. Either it goes good or bad. Sometimes I can pet and handle no problem and other times she puffs up and hisses at me (even striked a few times). She’s even recently started to freak out and run around and glass surf for about 15 minutes then quits (happens every few days or so). When I do finally get her out I let her roam around and do her thing before it’s time to go back in. Am I doing something wrong with handling her? I’ve put a lot of time in on making sure she has the proper temps and lighting. She’ll eat out of my hand no problem and has even cuddled in on a blanket for a nap while I’ve been holding her. Any ideas on why she’s so 50/50 with me?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ve had my beardie for 2-3 months and handling is still a pain. Either it goes good or bad. Sometimes I can pet and handle no problem and other times she puffs up and hisses at me (even striked a few times). She’s even recently started to freak out and run around and glass surf for about 15 minutes then quits (happens every few days or so). When I do finally get her out I let her roam around and do her thing before it’s time to go back in. Am I doing something wrong with handling her? I’ve put a lot of time in on making sure she has the proper temps and lighting. She’ll eat out of my hand no problem and has even cuddled in on a blanket for a nap while I’ve been holding her. Any ideas on why she’s so 50/50 with me?
Sounds like shes still settling in and a little apprehensive - give her time and patience she will get there- is she still a baby or older? Take a blanket / or a piece of clothing and put it in her hide something w/ your smell on it - she will get used to that smell and will help her adjust - the glass surfing could be a number of things - one she could just be training you to get her out or if you have her in a smaller tank like a 20 gallon will do it- adult dragons need at least a 75 or 120 gallon tank - lighting could be doing it too - temps in the tank - incorrect UVB coils are terrible for issues like this or basking bulbs that are off white - yellowish or ones that a coating on them -

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Sounds like shes still settling in and a little apprehensive - give her time and patience she will get there- is she still a baby or older? Take a blanket / or a piece of clothing and put it in her hide something w/ your smell on it - she will get used to that smell and will help her adjust - the glass surfing could be a number of things - one she could just be training you to get her out or if you have her in a smaller tank like a 20 gallon will do it- adult dragons need at least a 75 or 120 gallon tank - lighting could be doing it too - temps in the tank - incorrect UVB coils are terrible for issues like this or basking bulbs that are off white - yellowish or ones that a coating on them -
Not sure how old but if I had to guess based on size I’d say about 6 months. Got a 40g now. My lighting and temps used to be off but this site and it’s people helped me find the right stuff and we’ve been good for over a month.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure how old but if I had to guess based on size I’d say about 6 months. Got a 40g now. My lighting and temps used to be off but this site and it’s people helped me find the right stuff and we’ve been good for over a month.
Ok that is good on your lighting - just give him / her time - if and when you get another tank he / she will go thru relocation stress so the eating may be off - just keep working w/ him / her and they will come around - some may take a little longer than others but trust and patience is key here -

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If she gets aggressive do I stop or keep persisting?
I guess that's up to you- my 2 yr old was really aggressive- I ended up using a glove to pick him up - that was in the tank and holding him outside the tank for 5 min at a time but he was around 5 months old- I never had a issue w/ hiccup who is 3 now- two different personalities - it didn't take a long time to get him calm and I even started out w/ hand feeding- and petting in the tank I went slow and eventually I could pick him up w/ out the glove but he was terrible- he drew blood on my hubby several times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom