Firm puffed out beard? Occasionally black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eroseb

Beardie name(s)
Mr. b
Hello. I do not understand this forum thing very well, I apologize if I do this incorrectly.

I have a bearded dragon who is about 4-5 years old. His name is Mr B and he’s been in good health.

Today after work I came home to find him puffed up and black. I thought nothing of it as he occasionally does this before pooping.

5 hours later he’s still puffed up. His beard is usually soft and even when angry I am able to move it down when soothing him. It’s not pointy/ fanned like usual, it’s round and firm. Like there’s something inside. I will attach photos. He went poop, but remained puffed.

He occasionally turns black, but it usually goes away. I also saw him open is mouth and thrash like he had shed stuck, but I’ve never seen him be puffed like this for so long.

Should I take him to the vet? Thank you for reading

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 81

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That can be concerning, especially if his beard is black for an extended amount of time.
Did he eat an unusually big meal previously? They often hold food or fluids in their beards sometimes,
only to have it reduce by the following morning.
This just cropped up though, suddenly?

Tracie

Eroseb

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. b
Hi Tracie

No he did not eat an unusually large meal. It’s the following morning and he is still very puffed up and his beard is still firm and round.

This did pop up suddenly, but I’m hoping it resolves itself or ends up being harmless

Eroseb

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. b
Problem discovered! There is food stuck in his throat. My mom and I were able to gently pull some out. I will be offering lots of water, beard massaging, and baby food. He is acting fine, no choking or breathing issues. I read the thread about stuck food for ideas. Wish us luck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor thing. I hope he feels better soon. That can happen but he should get back to normal soon. Let us know how he is
doing.

Tracie

Eroseb

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. b
Mr b has taken a turn for the worse. Before he was acting himself and being goofy, today he was black all day with zero movement. I got an emergency visit set up tomorrow morning at the local exotic vet. Thankful they are able to see me. The food has move down lower but he’s obviously distressed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am sorry to hear that, I hope he is going to get better. I wonder if something is just lodged wrong & not able to be swallowed?
Did you try giving a little bit of water?
It is frustrating not being able to help them very much so keep him comfortable & a little warmer overnight while he isn't feeling well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Eroseb

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. b
After a whole day at the vet and a lot of money later, Mr. B had two large ulcers in the back of his throat. He was prescribed some antibiotics, and soft foods for 6 weeks. It’s been a day since the appointment and he is already doing a million times better :)

His color is normal, his beard is relaxed, and he’s energetic!

Attachments

• 4703249C-7F93-4862-B3D4-344D4DD8335D.jpeg
    4703249C-7F93-4862-B3D4-344D4DD8335D.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 69

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh wow, poor Mr. B, how on earth would he have gotten a couple of ulcers? What type of insects do you feed
him & how large are they?
The antibiotics should help with infection. I agree with a soft food diet for awhile, to let everything heal up. Bless
him, he does look a lot better!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep us posted on his progress. I hope that he is feeling a lot more normal now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom