Feeding Superworms to 12in Dragon?

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
So the last time I ordered insects for Beebz I picked up a 50ct of superworms. I've been trying to expand the variety of insects he has access to.

He mostly ate dubai until recently and I've introduced BSFL, crickets and hornworms since in addition to the superworms I just bought.

However I just read this on the stickied post about feeder worms regarding supers: These worms should not be fed to bearded dragons under the length of 16 inches, due to a kink in their digestive tract that has yet to stretch out. These can be fed as a staple, though they are high in fat compared to other worms, and have a harder exoskeleton (chitin) which makes it difficult to digest, though not impossible."

Beebz doesn't seem to be a huge fan anyway, but if they are safe I was going to continue offering 1-2 per feeding. They are much smaller than the crickets and dubai he's eating.

I did notice a small amount of somthing orangey in his feces once after he ate one and he doesn't eat squash or anything orange so perhaps he does have issues digesting them.

Anyway looking for advice as I'm trying to feed a well balanced diet but obviously don't want to give him anything that will hurt him.

Solution
no mealworms there exoskeleton is worse
Mealworms have softer chitin (exoskeleton) than superworms. Mealworms just have a higher ratio of chitin/body mass when compared to superworms.

Mealworms are a fine worm to feed.
Superworms are a fine worm to feed.

You need to make sure whatever feeder insect you are feeding is appropriately sized.

I wouldn't feed a full sized superworm to a young dragon (unless the worm was white/freshly molted) but that's the same logic in I wouldn't feed an adult dubia to a young dragon.

Variety is key in the diet and you're on the right track with the care you're providing right now.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So the last time I ordered insects for Beebz I picked up a 50ct of superworms. I've been trying to expand the variety of insects he has access to.

He mostly ate dubai until recently and I've introduced BSFL, crickets and hornworms since in addition to the superworms I just bought.

However I just read this on the stickied post about feeder worms regarding supers: These worms should not be fed to bearded dragons under the length of 16 inches, due to a kink in their digestive tract that has yet to stretch out. These can be fed as a staple, though they are high in fat compared to other worms, and have a harder exoskeleton (chitin) which makes it difficult to digest, though not impossible."

Beebz doesn't seem to be a huge fan anyway, but if they are safe I was going to continue offering 1-2 per feeding. They are much smaller than the crickets and dubai he's eating.

I did notice a small amount of somthing orangey in his feces once after he ate one and he doesn't eat squash or anything orange so perhaps he does have issues digesting them.

Anyway looking for advice as I'm trying to feed a well balanced diet but obviously don't want to give him anything that will hurt him.
I would feed 1-3 every couple of days appropriate size-- no mealworms there exoskeleton is worse-

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
no mealworms there exoskeleton is worse
Mealworms have softer chitin (exoskeleton) than superworms. Mealworms just have a higher ratio of chitin/body mass when compared to superworms.

Mealworms are a fine worm to feed.
Superworms are a fine worm to feed.

You need to make sure whatever feeder insect you are feeding is appropriately sized.

I wouldn't feed a full sized superworm to a young dragon (unless the worm was white/freshly molted) but that's the same logic in I wouldn't feed an adult dubia to a young dragon.

Variety is key in the diet and you're on the right track with the care you're providing right now.

-Brandon

Solution

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Thanks. The supers are small. They were supposed to be medium but they are roughly the size of two bsfl, maybe 3/4in. I will continue to add offer them sparingly.

Assuming Beebz will eat them. He's kinda 50/50 on them right now. Which surprised me, as I thought with the high fat he'd be all over it. The only thing he's super obsessed with are hornworms. I can't let him see the container unless he's getting one

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hornworms are the most addictive substance known to beardie kind. 😁

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom