feeding a sight inpaired dragon

f-eye-sty

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
fiesty
any tips on how i can get my bearded dragon to eat out of her dish? my bearded dragon when i got her was essentialy blind,infected eyes, she currently has one eye almost fully open and the other is starting to crack. she eats from the tongs if i place it on her mouth/force feeding(this is decreasing as shes getting better).

she currently has unlimeted leaves and mealworms(in a worm proof dish) in her enclosure

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon has eye issues. They are improving slowly right now, that is great to hear.
Have you also tried making up some slurries & using a plastic dropper, just dripping the food onto
her nose? She should lick the food like that, & that should help with getting more nutrition into her
until she can eat on her own more easily.
Does she eat her greens/veggies pretty regularly?
Feel free to post some pictures of her, if you would like.

Tracie

f-eye-sty

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
fiesty
Hello,

So sorry your dragon has eye issues. They are improving slowly right now, that is great to hear.
Have you also tried making up some slurries & using a plastic dropper, just dripping the food onto
her nose? She should lick the food like that, & that should help with getting more nutrition into her
until she can eat on her own more easily.
Does she eat her greens/veggies pretty regularly?
Feel free to post some pictures of her, if you would like.

Tracie
she was on that feeding for a month. and she will eat greens/veggies if i can get them in her mouth with tongs. i am trying to get her to eat in her enclosure.

f-eye-sty

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
fiesty
Message_1678472065311.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
any tips on how i can get my bearded dragon to eat out of her dish? my bearded dragon when i got her was essentialy blind,infected eyes, she currently has one eye almost fully open and the other is starting to crack. she eats from the tongs if i place it on her mouth/force feeding(this is decreasing as shes getting better).

she currently has unlimeted leaves and mealworms(in a worm proof dish) in her enclosure
How old is she? I would hold off on the meal worms if she is 6 months or younger and then limit them - they are known for impaction in younger dragons- the exoskeleton on them is too harsh on the stomachs

f-eye-sty

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
fiesty
How old is she? I would hold off on the meal worms if she is 6 months or younger and then limit them - they are known for impaction in younger dragons- the exoskeleton on them is too harsh on the stomachs
older then 6 months. vet estimated and ive had her for 2 months. 8months at least

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She really is beautiful, great color.
Poor thing, what caused her eye damage or do you know for sure?
Did you use any type of ointment or eye drops on her eyes?
Yes, as Karrie suggested, lay a bit low on the mealworms but a few wont hurt. You could also
try some small silkworms, or phoenix worms if you can get them.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

f-eye-sty

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
fiesty
Hello,

She really is beautiful, great color.
Poor thing, what caused her eye damage or do you know for sure?
Did you use any type of ointment or eye drops on her eyes?
Yes, as Karrie suggested, lay a bit low on the mealworms but a few wont hurt. You could also
try some small silkworms, or phoenix worms if you can get them.
How is she doing today?

Tracie
well thats not her true color. shes stained. it'll come off when she fully sheds. whoever had her last didn't have her in the correct environment. orange calcium sand was probably the substitute.
she was abandoned at a park. underweight and infection in her eyes. took her to the vet. shes had oral antibiotics, lubricating eye drops, eye drops with antibiotics, and lastly antiflamatory. all these meds have fully run their course.

Attachments

• 16812342168163948006822219836774.jpg
    16812342168163948006822219836774.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
well thats not her true color. shes stained. it'll come off when she fully sheds. whoever had her last didn't have her in the correct environment. orange calcium sand was probably the substitute.
she was abandoned at a park. underweight and infection in her eyes. took her to the vet. shes had oral antibiotics, lubricating eye drops, eye drops with antibiotics, and lastly antiflamatory. all these meds have fully run their course.
I see stick ons for temp gauges- those are inaccurate please get two digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - IR guns are good but can be off by certain materials- what are you using for a uvb? Please no coils- Tracie can help you better w/ the eye issue but her uvb and basking bulb is extremely important- they can effect the eyes- like colored bulbs coil uvb's are a few to name that are no good

f-eye-sty

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
fiesty
I see stick ons for temp gauges- those are inaccurate please get two digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - IR guns are good but can be off by certain materials- what are you using for a uvb? Please no coils- Tracie can help you better w/ the eye issue but her uvb and basking bulb is extremely important- they can effect the eyes- like colored bulbs coil uvb's are a few to name that are no good
i have what i have because that is what i can afford. if you want more information look at the account. otherwise please only comment on what I'm asking about. getting her to eat in her enclosure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom