Fed Dragon before brumation, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max22

My beardie, Astrid, is around 4 years old now and going through her first brumation. I had read bits and pieces about brumation, so I was not entirely shocked when she became sleepy and lethargic. It was not until I read one of the articles on this website that I found out they are supposed to have no food in their stomach before they bromate, as this can risk the food rotting in their stomach and causing a potential infection. I, in my ignorance, thought it was important for her to eat even during this period and as such have been force feeding her, which I now realize was quite stupid of me. Regardless, she has not had a bowel movement in several weeks and I am worried that the food will rot in her stomach if it doesn't get out. What do I do now that I've already fed her? I don't want her to get an infection, especially not because of my ignorance! Please help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wake her up every 4-5 days + give her a very warm bath. Not too late in the evening so you can pat her dry + be sure there's warmth in the tank. Be sure her tank doesn't get too cool, maybe 75 at night for the low temp. When she's ready, it will come out.

I used to feed my dragons right up to brumation [ even though they would slow down eating on their own ] and never had a problem, but I can see potential for it. Try not to stress, she should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom