extended brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velenar

Beardie name(s)
Little Grasshopper
So our beardie "Little Grasshopper" is around 3 years old. he went into his first brumation (which we did not know about at first) last fall. I would guess sometime around late August to October. After reading many forums we are pretty sure it should NOT be lasting this long. We saw roughly 4 months max. Every time he wakes up he looks like he is really stoned like high school stoned. He will eat a salad here and there. We spray him with water every day to help keep him hydrated. But he is getting thin, skin drooping etc. I also put a couple vitamin drops in his water every so often. He does take BM's. BUT when watching him move around it looks like his legs are barely working. he has been not moving for an eternity, they are just super stiff...also his coloring changes very often. He will be his normal grayish, then other times he will be almost white/pale. He is coherent when he does wake up. responds to my voice and recognizes it. Walks up to the glass to watch what is going on and say hello. But cant keep his eyes open. I have no idea what is going on... I am going to call around to try and find a reptile vet. on Monday. But till then, any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time. The pictures attached are of him in his normal color. I will update/add when he turns light. Also threw the one of its tank setup in. food and water dish are normally on the cool side, just moved over to help out in not moving very far

Attachments

• 20220410_072021.jpg
    20220410_072021.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220410_072113.jpg
    20220410_072113.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220410_063555.jpg
    20220410_063555.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 73

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So our beardie "Little Grasshopper" is around 3 years old. he went into his first brumation (which we did not know about at first) last fall. I would guess sometime around late August to October. After reading many forums we are pretty sure it should NOT be lasting this long. We saw roughly 4 months max. Every time he wakes up he looks like he is really stoned like high school stoned. He will eat a salad here and there. We spray him with water every day to help keep him hydrated. But he is getting thin, skin drooping etc. I also put a couple vitamin drops in his water every so often. He does take BM's. BUT when watching him move around it looks like his legs are barely working. he has been not moving for an eternity, they are just super stiff...also his coloring changes very often. He will be his normal grayish, then other times he will be almost white/pale. He is coherent when he does wake up. responds to my voice and recognizes it. Walks up to the glass to watch what is going on and say hello. But cant keep his eyes open. I have no idea what is going on... I am going to call around to try and find a reptile vet. on Monday. But till then, any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time. The pictures attached are of him in his normal color. I will update/add when he turns light. Also threw the one of its tank setup in. food and water dish are normally on the cool side, just moved over to help out in not moving very far
Your dragon is terrible ill---- please replace the UVB -- I can see it is one of those coil type tubes -- you need to do this right away--- please a solid bright white basking bulb like this Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart
then you need to get one of these
or this it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up you want a 22" Reptsiun 10.0 T 5 for this fixture
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
I dont see any temp gauges in the tank please get two of these
The tank needs basking temps 95-100 surface temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --
cool side of the tank 80's and middle of the tank 90's -
Please get this stuff right away -- you can check your petstores for the stuff I posted the basking light and the thermometers will carry them -- the UVB's not so much but you can look - you want the 24" fixture not a 18-20 inch those are T 8's --
Next please get him off the sand you can use paper towels for now and look for some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store -cut to the size of your tank
Your dragon is dying he needs all these things I have posted as soon as you can -- colored bulbs and coil UVB's are not good lighting -- this is not brumation --
He needs water and he looks to weak to eat so please drop water on his nose or feed by eye dropper - please make him a slurry of fresh greens (collard turnip kale or mustard) add a pinch of calcium D3 to it make it runny so hes getting water that way too also add some crickets or dubia roaches - you will need a new blender after doing this -- feed out of a syringe start w/ 1ML 3 times per day - he hasnt eaten in months so his stomach is shrunk and we dont want to overwhelm him -- I would invest in a ceramic heat emitter goes in a dome for over night temps of around 80 he needs the warmth to keep his immune system up ---

Sweetie_Cheeks

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Echo-Lina
Absolutely agree with everything said above. Also, make sure he is getting calcium without vitamin D3 and vitamins. There is an electrolyte soak you can buy on Amazon. Soak him several times a week. Hold him. Take him outside in the natural sunlight as often as possible. Colloidal silver drops are great for immune system (bearded dragon website) he looks barely alive. Repti aid is also great. Hopefully it isn’t too late to help him. My whole heart breaks for this poor little guy. You need to nurse him back to health or give him to someone who can. Vet appointment ASAP!!!!

Velenar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Little Grasshopper
Your dragon is terrible ill---- please replace the UVB -- I can see it is one of those coil type tubes -- you need to do this right away--- please a solid bright white basking bulb like this Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart
then you need to get one of these
or this it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up you want a 22" Reptsiun 10.0 T 5 for this fixture
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
I dont see any temp gauges in the tank please get two of these
The tank needs basking temps 95-100 surface temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --
cool side of the tank 80's and middle of the tank 90's -
Please get this stuff right away -- you can check your petstores for the stuff I posted the basking light and the thermometers will carry them -- the UVB's not so much but you can look - you want the 24" fixture not a 18-20 inch those are T 8's --
Next please get him off the sand you can use paper towels for now and look for some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store -cut to the size of your tank
Your dragon is dying he needs all these things I have posted as soon as you can -- colored bulbs and coil UVB's are not good lighting -- this is not brumation --
He needs water and he looks to weak to eat so please drop water on his nose or feed by eye dropper - please make him a slurry of fresh greens (collard turnip kale or mustard) add a pinch of calcium D3 to it make it runny so hes getting water that way too also add some crickets or dubia roaches - you will need a new blender after doing this -- feed out of a syringe start w/ 1ML 3 times per day - he hasnt eaten in months so his stomach is shrunk and we dont want to overwhelm him -- I would invest in a ceramic heat emitter goes in a dome for over night temps of around 80 he needs the warmth to keep his immune system up ---
he does move around the tank a couple of times a day. i spray him with water as well to make sure he is hydrated. i have been making him salads, but with what we have in house. either lettuce or spinach, with meal worms. i have that thermometer. also a ceramic heat bulb thing as well. it is between 91 and 101 during the day and 79 lowest at night. also there is a heat pad under tank where he basks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
he does move around the tank a couple of times a day. i spray him with water as well to make sure he is hydrated. i have been making him salads, but with what we have in house. either lettuce or spinach, with meal worms. i have that thermometer. also a ceramic heat bulb thing as well. it is between 91 and 101 during the day and 79 lowest at night. also there is a heat pad under tank where he basks.
lettuce is not a good staple feeder romaine fine no ice berg and hes not eating now and terribly skinny hes not going to make it -- meal worms are not a good staple feeder -- please get the things I posted -- please start w/ the slurrys of greens and either crickets or dubias or get him some critical care -- you can get herbivore found on Amazon or you can try a vets office -- but you need to get that UVB fixed pronto --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom