Enclosure opinions, tips and tricks

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
So today I started to redo Luis enclosure as I've learned a lot more about what he likes. This is not the final result but it will be pretty close to what I have in mind. At this point Luis did poop on my carpet, so I decided to call it a day 🙈
IMG_20231007_164804.jpg

The big trunk in the center is hollow so it doubles up as a hide and a ramp to the basking area.
IMG_20231007_164827.jpg
For the substrate I found some organic soil without any fertilizer and only plant matter. That is mixed with playsand.
IMG_20231007_165217.jpg

For reference, Luis is almost a year and the tank is around 210 Gal.
IMG_20231007_164840.jpg
It is pretty high though, so I'm looking to fix some branches to the back wall so there is more space to climb and they could stick out to add another plane fore him to move closer to the UVB.
Does anyone have an idea how to do that. I'm thinking to put some hooks into the wall and also into the branches and use velcro or cable ties!?
Also I want to mix up the substrate a little more with some clay/sand and pure sand areas, but I'll let this run dry out first. I've the doors slighly open and the temps up a few degrees.
Opinions and thoughts are very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_164816.jpg
    IMG_20231007_164816.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 47

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You could do a suspended upper platform. Just throw a couple wooden dowels across the top to hang it from. I've suspended my hammocks like that with good success.
Your setup looks pretty darned nice to. If I my ask where did you get the tracks for the sliding doors 🚪 🤔? I've had a hella time trying to source those.
If you do suspend a ledge of hammock or something it might be a good idea to tether it on the ends so it doesn't swing to much. I anchored one end of my hammocks to the decor so they stayed put.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we use one of these to hold the end of sir henry's long grape vine up. it let's the vine go from up high on the wall down to the floor for uvb variety. then we don't have to worry about measuring distance, he just goes where he wants to be.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
You could do a suspended upper platform. Just throw a couple wooden dowels across the top to hang it from. I've suspended my hammocks like that with good success.
Your setup looks pretty darned nice to. If I my ask where did you get the tracks for the sliding doors 🚪 🤔? I've had a hella time trying to source those.
If you do suspend a ledge of hammock or something it might be a good idea to tether it on the ends so it doesn't swing to much. I anchored one end of my hammocks to the decor so they stayed put.
That sounds like it would look nice. I may have to do a trip to the hardware store again ;)
The tracks came with the DIY set, wich I bought from a reptile store here in Germany. They do source that from somewhere else, I think, but none of it had any labbeling, I'm afraid. Your hardware store doesen't have some? Or maybe like a local carpender or something?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
we use one of these to hold the end of sir henry's long grape vine up. it let's the vine go from up high on the wall down to the floor for uvb variety. then we don't have to worry about measuring distance, he just goes where he wants to be.
That is exactly what I'm going for. Unfortunately all remaining of my branches are ether really big or tiny so I doubt they would fit this holder but the idea is good. Maybe there is something similar in a different size, I'll look that up, thanks a lot :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh that's genius 🙂 I didn't even know those existed 😳

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That sounds like it would look nice. I may have to do a trip to the hardware store again ;)
The tracks came with the DIY set, wich I bought from a reptile store here in Germany. They do source that from somewhere else, I think, but none of it had any labbeling, I'm afraid. Your hardware store doesen't have some? Or maybe like a local carpender or something?
None of the hardware stores have anything like that, I guess if I build another custom habitat I'll maybe try getting something online.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Oh that's genius 🙂 I didn't even know those existed 😳
it works pretty amazing! he's got a range of about 6" to 24" away. the 6" is off to the side of the uvb a little. he's currently rockin' the low end. (note to self: redo the sharpie on the command strips! LOL!!!)

IMG_20231008_175934077.jpg

IMG_20231008_180534629.jpg

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
That is exactly what I'm going for. Unfortunately all remaining of my branches are ether really big or tiny so I doubt they would fit this holder but the idea is good. Maybe there is something similar in a different size, I'll look that up, thanks a lot :)
you're welcome! it really does make things easier to deal with. hopefully you can find something similar that will work for you.

jabda

Hatchling Member
track for sliding glass...

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Everyone is too fancy for me LOL
Good ole picture wire for me. When I found that here, I was like BRILLIANT!
Those end things look like the broom holders sold at the dollar tree split in half, that's the first thing that came into my mind. I am not recommending it due to the weight of the log but I had to share in case anyone has a smaller log or other idea.

There are so many creative people out here, I love it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
it works pretty amazing! he's got a range of about 6" to 24" away. the 6" is off to the side of the uvb a little. he's currently rockin' the low end. (note to self: redo the sharpie on the command strips! LOL!!!)

View attachment 84518
View attachment 84519
Man that is friggen awesome.
That's the coolest trick ( I'm 50 years old and refuse to say hack lmao) I've seen in a long time.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom