Enclosure Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

I've been reading through this board for weeks now, gathering information. A lot of information to go through for sure. This is my first post.

My son and I decided on a Bearded Dragon as a "shared" pet. He wanted a pet, and I knew that if he chose not to take care of it, it had to be something I would be interested in taking care of. We will get a baby dragon.

I found an old dresser and have stripped it down except the back - it's still painted green. I haven't decided if I want to strip that and sand it as well. I will stain this and coat it with water-based polyurethane. I believe that is the accepted method.

IMG_8229.jpg

It measures 52.5W x 27.5H x 17.5"D. I plan on using some of the top space to mount the lights on another "ceiling" so the tops of the light fixtures are not visible. I'd like this area to be accessible - either the ceiling slides out or I'll disconnect the top an add hinges.

A basking light and an ceramic infrared heat lamp will provide day and night heat, connected to ceiling light fixtures, wired above the false top. Two dimmer switches for day and night basking lights will be wired to the back, where they are accessible, but not tempting. This should allow adjustment of the temps put out by those lights.

I think a 48" UVB (Reptisun 10.0) fixture should fit in this setup. If not, would a 36" be sufficient or should I opt for two 24" offset slightly? Timers used to control the lighting on/off times - day and night.

Inside will be sanded grout over thin foam insulation walls coated with hodge lodge matte. Fixtures for basking and such will be the same. The flooring will be tile - something earthy looking with some texture to it for basic grip.

A vent low on the cool side and high on the hot side will be added. These are brown and should blend ok with the stain - they are covered in mesh internally. Not sure if I just leave those parts of the walls uncovered or what.

Doors will likely be glass on a slider. Trying to find someone to cut them and add small handles. Would like an inconspicuous means to lock them as well.

Am I missing anything? Based on this information, are there any tips one can provide?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
For UV one 22” T5HO reptisun 10.0 would be good for this size enclosure. You can add a second 22” or a 36” T5HO with a daylight bulb (or a 2% uvb) for extra light if you like. They daisychain together so you’ll only end up with one plug.

For heat, the night heat should be non-visible, like a CHE or Radiant heat panel. I like heat panels since they aren’t hot to the touch and lower wattages.

For the walls, keep in mind some types of mod podge don’t play nicely with water. You can use the water based polyurethane instead if you want. I like to keep permanent surfaces as easily cleanable as possible myself.

For the glass, I don’t know of any inconspicuous locks without maybe drilling holes in the crowds and hiding pegs. I use regular cabinet locks for mine.
67_grande.jpg

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
i'm sorry to say this but for a baby dragon is way to big and for an adult dragon is not enough depth you need 24 inches minimum for him to be able to turn around the 52 long is ok but the depth is important.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Zen":2lzmbaxi said:
I've been reading through this board for weeks now, gathering information. A lot of information to go through for sure. This is my first post.

My son and I decided on a Bearded Dragon as a "shared" pet. He wanted a pet, and I knew that if he chose not to take care of it, it had to be something I would be interested in taking care of. We will get a baby dragon.

I found an old dresser and have stripped it down except the back - it's still painted green. I haven't decided if I want to strip that and sand it as well. I will stain this and coat it with water-based polyurethane. I believe that is the accepted method.

IMG_8229.jpg

It measures 52.5W x 27.5H x 17.5"D. I plan on using some of the top space to mount the lights on another "ceiling" so the tops of the light fixtures are not visible. I'd like this area to be accessible - either the ceiling slides out or I'll disconnect the top an add hinges.

<<< I suggest flipping it so the back is now the bottom and it becomes 52.5" W x 17.5" H x 27.5" D , means the a disassemble and reassemble , but better off doing that now than later.

Am I missing anything? Based on this information, are there any tips one can provide?

for sliding doors http://www.cowdroy.co.nz/uploads/MK11.pdf

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
that's a great idea king that would be one good enclosure if you flip it probably the t5 be too much at 17.5 H in height a t8 will do just fine i would build a platform across the enclosure so your beardie is always 8 inches from the uvb just some plywood screwed across the 48 t8 fixture be good i would get it with a reflector as those t8 don't put a lot of uvb like the t5 but i think the t5 be too much for a 17.5 high.if you like to go with the glass or if you want something easier go with a 1/2 plexiglass more expensive but you can cut it yourself.also you will need some vents this is the enclosure i built for my dragon im just re-caulked waiting for the silicone to cure is a 48x2x2 nothing fancy or anything and it has lot of esthetic issues lol
97755-7180362441.jpg
for the rails i went with this ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSK398/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardeddtagonlover":2fjaxdov said:
that's a great idea king that would be one good enclosure if you flip it probably the t5 be too much at 17.5 H in height a t8 will do just fine i would build a platform across the enclosure so your beardie is always 8 inches from the uvb just some plywood screwed across the 48 t8 fixture be good i would get it with a reflector as those t8 don't put a lot of uvb like the t5 but i think the t5 be too much for a 17.5 high.if you like to go with the glass or if you want something easier go with a 1/2 plexiglass more expensive but you can cut it yourself.also you will need some vents this is the enclosure i built for my dragon im just re-caulked waiting for the silicone to cure is a 48x2x2 nothing fancy or anything and it has lot of esthetic issues lol
97755-7180362441.jpg
for the rails i went with this ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSK398/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A T5HO 12%UVB will be fine in reflector hood in such a tank , ideal distance to basking spot is 11" to 12" see this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

I have 18" tall tanks for the BTs and the beardies .

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I disagree, I think 18" depth is fine, it is what I have and there is no problems whatsoever. And for the poster who said that this was too big for a baby - it's not. As long as the beardie is eating fine and can find his/her food, there is no reason a beardie can not live in a full enclosure. In the wild, they are born in a huge open environment - no one is there to put up a little fence so they don't get scared lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom