Dubia Colony Info for newbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
As long as its room temp lobster will last forever and still breed, as for how many he will eat it will actually be less then crix. Roaches should fill him p allot faster them crix.

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
Theroachguy":967c8 said:
As long as its room temp lobster will last forever and still breed, as for how many he will eat it will actually be less then crix. Roaches should fill him p allot faster them crix.

Okay, thank you. Looks like they will last me a while then.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Keeping Lobsters: Make sure you put a thin layer of vasaline around the top 3 inches of your container for the lobsters. Only problem with lobsters is they can climb any surface including glass. Other than that, they are way better than crix with about the same cost. And yes, you can have them in a 10 gal with no problem and as long as it doesn't get too cold you don't have to heat them. You only really need to add heat when you want them to breed. Keep them well watered and give them food as they are veracious and all should be well. It has been my experience that lobsters do die off in greater numbers than dubia, so don't be surprised to see a number of dead. Still nothing like the die off rate of crix.

Counting Roaches: When I started feeding off my colony, I first sat down and counted my roaches out by hand. I did this because I wanted to separate all my female adults and nymphs from the feeders. Now that I have them counted out, and know how many adult females I have and the number of female nymphs who will become producing females, I can approximate how many roaches I have. But to come up with the original number so I knew I could feed off them I did count them by hand. I didn't count out the tiny nymphs, just the ones I could see well enough to sex.

Ratio: I was using a ratio of 1 male to every 3 females, then learned that a ratio of 1 male to cery 10 females is appropriate, so have culled my male herd so I have 1 to 10

Eric

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
How do you determine the sex of the nymphs? I haven't come across this info yet. It would be really helpful so I don't end up with a tote full of males eating all of my food.

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
Thank you Eric, for the info on the lobsters. I didn't realize they climbed glass. Bummer. Vaseline is a good idea. Thank you again.

I have a question regarding humidity... I live in Las Vegas and its very dry here. How do I keep the humidity at the appropriate level without causing mold? I havent' started my colony yet, I'm just compiling information so I'm prepared when I start my colony.
Christine.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
clamentfamily":84fe2 said:
I have a question regarding humidity... I live in Las Vegas and its very dry here. How do I keep the humidity at the appropriate level without causing mold? I havent' started my colony yet, I'm just compiling information so I'm prepared when I start my colony.
Christine.
just keep your water crystals full and the evaporation of that will bring the humidity up to where you need it. you can also offer more veggies like carrots and fresh greens.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Laurmann2000":f965a said:
Thank you Eric, for the info on the lobsters. I didn't realize they climbed glass. Bummer. Vaseline is a good idea. Thank you again.

The lobsters aren't a problem, it's not like they swarm out trying to climb out of their container. The vasaline will perfectly keep any strays that may wander up the wall in the enclosure. My experience is they stay in their egg crates unless feeding.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom