Dragon Vision

MuswellMark

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so first off "Hello eveyone!, My name's Muswellian and I'm from North London"

I'll just get straight to it...

I'd really like to get a good idea of how our beardie"s perspective of the world is through it's senses. But more specially his sense of sight and sound/ hearing. Meaning has anyone got any links to any sites with good colour diagrams and explanations on how he sees colour or heat, his sense of movement and so on etc etc?

He /she beardie is about 3 months old and really belongs to my 9 year old son, but given how cool these little dragons are, it's not taken long before i got smitten too!!

Thanks
M

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hi-
Honestly I dont know but I watch my beardies attentively and learn through them. Which items do they respond negatively too- for example, Rocky doesnt like red.
Rocky and Ruby walk into white walls. Loud noises other than my mouth- not good.
Very sensitive to sound-- they hear the softest bird.
They look towards the sun but are sensitive to long durations of natural light.
As I am obsessed with them, I learn so much. LOL

jabda

Hatchling Member
Hope this helps... belapets.com/bearded-dragon-senses/

1702126655112.jpg

1702126879667.jpg

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so first off "Hello eveyone!, My name's Muswellian and I'm from North London"

I'll just get straight to it...

I'd really like to get a good idea of how our beardie"s perspective of the world is through it's senses. But more specially his sense of sight and sound/ hearing. Meaning has anyone got any links to any sites with good colour diagrams and explanations on how he sees colour or heat, his sense of movement and so on etc etc?

He /she beardie is about 3 months old and really belongs to my 9 year old son, but given how cool these little dragons are, it's not taken long before i got smitten too!!

Thanks
M
Beardies have more rods/cones in their eyes. They can see colors and spectrums of light that we cannot.
When we take out Beardies out in natural sun light, we look completely different to them. It can really freak them out until they figure out it's still us.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Beardies have more rods/cones in their eyes. They can see colors and spectrums of light that we cannot.
When we take out Beardies out in natural sun light, we look completely different to them. It can really freak them out until they figure out it's still us.
Seeing a new world is what I've noticed with My Dragon...

I've noticed they have a fear response that makes them afraid of humans; I've also noted that these creatures see MUCH more than we see...They have a natural 3rd eye that allows them...
They have predatorial/Prey responses built in.

& we can't see what they see but they can surely help us. :blob5:
Enjoy your Christmas.!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Healthy beardies seem to have have excellent eyesight and can spot a loose insect that is outside of their enclosure across a large room, another dragon even if it's just a tiny glimpse, etc. If my male dragons spot each other just for a second they will react with the darkened beard and alert looks in each other's direction. I don't allow them to see each other, that keeps their stress level down.

They have what's called a 3rd eye [ parietal eye ] which is a photosensory organ that triggers hormonal production and thermoregulation. It can't actually see images but can sense light + dark. Here's a pic from one of my babies I took years ago. You can see what looks like a tiny pin prick on the top of the head.

1702169550519.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great discussion! Beardies have excellent sight & as stated, have more cones & rods in their eyes
enabling them to see more visible light spectrum than we can. Lucky if you ask me, too bad we all
can't have that ability! He is stunning, by the way.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom