draco keeps trying to bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracoowner

hi guys, im new to the forum and just thought id ask a quick question. basically around 4 weeks ago i bought my first beardie, a little cutie called Lucas, he seemed perfectly fine and was very loveable (he was around 3 months when we bought him) but then just over a week ago he stopped eating. hed only been on about 6 crickets a day, which we realised was low but thought he was just settling in. he then stopped moving and would just lie limp in my hand, so we rushed him to the shop to ask the woman to look at him. she took him in for a few days to monitor him and as quick as he'd pick up he'd drop back down again. so the woman told us nearly 4 days ago that she didnt think he was going to make it and that we could have new lizard. as hard as it was to pick a new one, i chose what looked like the biggest of the bunch, and was supposedly the dominant one. we brought him down that day and he had 30 crickets that day alone (he's 4 and a half months old). he seemed fine at first, and would allow us to pick him up to spray him and stroke him (for short periods as we wanted him to settle in) but we went to stroke him in his viv this morning and his beard area puffed up and his mouth opened, then he jumped to my dad and tried to bite. we left him and put the crickets in. so then this afternoon when i went to feed him again he did the same thing.

i was just wondering if this was stress with the move, or if you think we just need to try and tame him. im a bit wary as i havent got much experience with lizards and my first lizard seemed to have a hereditary problem that we couldnt fix. can someone please give me some advice?

thanks

LJean

Extreme Poster
hmm.. maybe there is something with his viv that is making him unhappy?

Do you know what the temps are on his basking spot, and the rest of the viv?
What type UV light are you using?

dracoowner

Original Poster
ye, the basking spot was 29.4 C last time i checked, and about 25 in the cooler end. not sure about the UV off the top of my head but it lasts for 9 months if that helps? :?

i know it may seem like a wierd question but would he be able to sense that my other beardie was in there before him and wasnt well?

LJean

Extreme Poster
It's possible he can smell the other dragon. Not sure if he would know that it was ill or not.
My adult dragon certainly knows where to look for our baby. ;)

Can you try to get the basking temps to 40-42c? They really need the higher temps to help with digestion.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
If you could check the brand of the UVB that would help too. If should be stamped directly on the bulb. Is it a compact/coil, florescent tube or MVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom