double amputee rescued from petstore

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasara

hi guys, i've been a member for a while but I am something of a lurker. My husband and I are big suckers for lizards. We already have two beardies, a Jackson's Chamelion, and a juvenile green iguana, and I keep two leopard geckos and a ball python in my classroom. We like to take our beardies out so we visit the pet stores in town whether we need something or not. Today we went to a store that we rarely visit because the quality of their animals has not been maintained since they opened this summer.

I was horrified by what i saw in the reptile area. first, they kept all of their reptiles in a tower with no uvb bulbs, and everything is kept on reptibark that looks like it never gets cleaned. They had two juvenile beardies housed together. one was significantly larger than the other, and in pretty good shape. The other one broke my heart.

He was missing one front leg from the elbow down, and all of the toes from the other front foot. He had some open sores across the tip of his nose where the other had bitten him, an under bite, and swelling around his nostrils. He was skinny to the point of emaciation. I suddenly felt sick, and asked my husband to take me home. On the way out I told him that if I ever suggested coming back to the store to tell me no because I always saw something that upset me. As we were pulling into our driveway I looked over at him and asked if he would kill me if I got another beardie. He said that he was thinking that he didn't want to leave the poor little bugger there suffering.

I called my sister, who is also my reptile vet, and asked if she thought that her boss would let her treat it as rescue pro bono if I could convince the manager to let me have it at cost. She told me that if not, she'd work on him. I called the store back and asked to speak to the manager, and basically let him have it for the poor living conditions that all of the reptiles were kept in, and pointed out that such an obviously injured animal would never sell at the $90 price that they were asking for it when healthy beardies are sold all over town for less than $50. I asked if he would sell him to me at cost. He said that he couldn't do that, but that he could sell it for half price.

When we went back to the store to collect him, we took out largest beardie, Eddie. The clerk who got him out of the tank for us, told us that he'd been missing one foot when he got to the store, but that the other had bitten off the missing toes, and ate most of the food that went into the tank, and that this one was "sweet" and that he was glad that it was goign to a good home. I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking why, if they knew that this was happening, they hadn't separated the two dragons. When the manager checked us out, he asked me what I fed Eddie, and gave me a 7 day warranty on the lizard. Again, I bit my tongue and gave him a pretty detailed account of a popper diet for bearded dragons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravelinjasara/8065001058/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravelinjasara/8065001826/

Lucky has been to the vet, who thinks that he has a pretty good chance, as he is pretty alert for being as skinny as he is. he's getting baths in diluted chlorohexadine solution, and I am dusting his crickets in carnivore care and calcium to try to get some weight on him.

apologies - I can't make the embedded image links work.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
That's absolutely awful. That poor baby. At least he's in a better home now where he will be cared for and loved :) I'm glad you took him in

TJinPgh

Kinda like the pet store I was in earlier. They had two beardies (in separate tanks, thankfully). One was a juvie that was missing a good bit of it's tail (probably from whatever it was in with previously) and another that I'm not quite sure how old it was. My guess was a little under a year but it was somewhat under weight so it was hard to tell. Anyway, that one was also missing a front leg from the elbow down.

Didn't seem to be slowing it down any, though. Seemed to climb on it's branch and run around pretty good. Between that and the eco earth they had them on it didn't seem like the best of conditions.

At least they didn't have them cross housed with other reptiles like I've seen them and other stores around here do in the past. How something doesn't end up dead is beyond me.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
My little girl, who is a double amputee herself, sends best wishes for the little baby beardie and she kissed the pictures of him. She was really moved by that. He is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!
I know he will bring you so much joy. With a face like that...how can he help it?

jasara

Original Poster
how sad is this. Walter and i went back to the pet store in question tonight, to see if our email to the area manager had resulted in any improvements to the reptile's living conditions. there were some improvements and some not so good improvements. now they have the baby beardies housed individually on sand. i wanted to bang my head against the wall. at least these little guys had all of their feet and looked like they were being fed. the previous manager has been replaced and the new manager has replaced all of the florescent tube lights with UVB bulbs and gotten the temperatures in the correct ranges. sadly, i ended up with another rescue though. they had this pathetic red iguana that looked even worse than lucky did. the poor thing has no muscle mass, you can see its hip bones, and i suspect that you would be able to see its ribs too if it weren't covered in about three layers of retained shed and smeared in feces. when i first saw it, it was laying across it's food bowl with a piece of spinach hanging out of its mouth and i thought it was dead. the manager wasn't able to give me any sort of mark down on this lizard because they just got it in two days ago in a shipment from sun pets. she says that this company sucks, but that she got in trouble for not ordering enough reptiles. i really didn't want to own two iguanas, but i couldn't leave the poor thing there to die. i took it directly from the store to the vet to have fluids injected. it perked up a little after that and a warm bath. I'm hoping that it doesn't die anyway. i told Walter that the next time he wants to check on the reptile section he had to go alone because i can't handle going in there anymore. i already have two iguanas, two leopard geckos, three beardies, a ball python, a Russian tortoise, and a pacman frog. god knows what i'd come out with next time.

jasara

Original Poster
so lucky has started gaining weight, and is definitely growing. he gets around pretty well, and FAST for a little guy who has missing front feet and uneven legs. my question is this: When i first got him, i dusted his crickets with both calcium and carnivore care to get him back up to weight. he eats like a pig, but he is still a little boney across his hips. He is also still having trouble controlling his back feet. Every few steps his back feet will flop over and he will be walking on the tops of them. his back toes are a little curled up. should i be concerned about this foot issue, or just chalk it up to early stage MBD, stemming from not having calcium supplements, proper lighting, and being malnourished at the pet store? he also has a tiny bit of an under bite, but that may just be poor breeding. i have been reluctant to have him x-rayed because he seems to be so healthy and active. any suggestions or words of wisdom from experienced reptile rescuers?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's good to hear that he's gaining weight and seems energetic, you're really doing a great job with him. He may very well have been dead by now if you hadn't taken him. As far as the jaw + floppy feet, those are both from MBD, and so the thing to do is to continue with extra calcium [ if you can, get some liquid ] and be extra careful that he is within proper range of the UVB bulb. Did he have the problem with his feet all along or has it been a recent development ? Getting him out in the sun if you live where it's warm will aid in calcium absorption more quickly than the bulb. You may be able to reverse the ankle problem and hopefully he'll be able to walk normally with those feet.

jasara

Original Poster
i alternate between feeding waxies and phoenix worms as treats. i always give him extras.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravelinjasara/8227627549/

i still havn't figured out how to make the image embed into the post, but this is a recent picture of lucky. he has a strong affinity for his water bowl, and we have started calling it "lucky's hot tub" i promise i cleaned the poop out of it after i took this picture.

william488

Juvie Member
hey nice looking special little one.

to help you out imbedding your photos, first click on the share button above your photo, then click on the link that says grab HTML/BBCode, then click on the BBCode bubble, then copy that link above and paste it in your post. I hope that helps.

I am very tempted to get a little guy near me at a reptile rescue center that has a little one with some weird leg issues, its not mbd, but he cannot control most of his leggs right, its like there is no bones or something. I saw him a month or so ago when I got my snake from them. They had him then, but he was not available for adoption then, they were making sure he was eating good and that nothing was really wrong with him. He is admit that he will do things his way, he wants to hunt, not eat out of your hand, and loves to scoot around. lol. Love your little one, and I hope for many happy years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom