Doesn't really like to eat outside his tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
I am trying to get him to eat more a day because everyone is telling me that he should 4-6 a day is not enough from what i am told...and i don't like to leave crickets in his tank because of the bitting that can happen to the little guy...but he isn't a fan of eating outside his tank much maybe one at the most...but the second he sees them in the tank there gone....I was wondering he did start eating greens on top of the 4-6 crickets a day is that enough or should it be way more still? also everyone is saying that you can get a tempeture probe at wal-mart for cheap, could someone give me the name of a good one to get from there? so when i go i know what i'm really looking for...thank you much!!

the people told my girlfriend who got it from petco that he is 3 months old...people are telling me on here that 2 months tops...here is a picture and also he is about 5 1/2 inches long...and no he isn't on the sand...i have paper towel down
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/IMG_3311.jpg

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
Some BD never eat crickets at all. I would say as long as he's eating plenty of greens and getting his supplements he should be o.k. eating as many crickets as he will. But I was a little confused. You said you don't want to leave them in the tank because of nipping, but also said as soon as he sees them their gone. Just give him as many as he will eat.

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok yeah i guess i put it alittle wrong...sometimes if i throw 2 in or something one always seems to get away or hide you know...

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
Try feeding him silkworms. You can leave those in the tank and he can eat them when he is hungry.
For crickets you can hand feed him as many as he will eat in 10 minutes or so, so you don't have them running around loose in the enclosure.

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i just ordered some medium sized silkies for him to eat...i try hand feeding him all the time greens and crickets but never eats from my hand.....also the crickets are alittle small sometimes to hand feed

char

Hatchling Member
A great tip that I read on here was to put the crickets in the frig for about 5 mins. It doesn't kill them but slows them down a lot. It would give him more time to eat them so you can get the ones he doesn't eat out of the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom