Does Anyone Else Leave BSFL in Tank All Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschasch

I order 2000 BSFL From Symton every 3 weeks, to make sure i always have a fresh and ample supply for my Beardie Knox! I have an escape proof bow for him, and he usually has anywhere from 100-200 BSFL in his tank at all times so that he can eat when hes hungry, and not just when i am available to feed him.

I'm kind of Shocked that most caretakers don't do this, as its extremely easy and hassle free. To keep the worms good for longer, i just put the unused cups in a lunchbox with an ice pack and change the ice pack every few days, to keep it cool.

No feeding of the staples necessary, and almost zero maintenance for my beardie, or the feeders. Seems like a perfect solution for busy beardie owners.

Does anyone see any downsides to doing this? I supplement his diet with salads, Horn worms, and Supers now that hes over a year old and pretty full grown.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you have an escape proof/curved bowl I don't see why not. They don't cause harm if they escape anyway really. I tend to hand feed BSFL because my guy will eat them very quickly without chewing and they pass through whole. I hand feed them slowly to meter things a bit and make sure he chews. That may not be a universal issue though.

Rschasch

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3suuc1d6 said:
As long as you have an escape proof/curved bowl I don't see why not. They don't cause harm if they escape anyway really. I tend to hand feed BSFL because my guy will eat them very quickly without chewing and they pass through whole. I hand feed them slowly to meter things a bit and make sure he chews. That may not be a universal issue though.

I have had some trouble with them passing undigested, but it really seems to stop if i balance them with a few pieces of grub pie, or other worms, throughout the week! Although i haven't noticed any ill effects of them passing undigested yet (going on just over a year)

As for Harm, I recently grouted my tiles in my new crossfire tank, so they cant even dig even if they did escape! Sometimes well find 1 or 2 that managed to make it out but usually Knox takes care of them as an in between meal snack!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not harmful for them to pass undigested, it's just a bit of a waste =). If your enclosure is nice and sealed I would certainly give it a try and leave them out. See how it goes.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually leave some type of worms in the tank throughout the day. At least when they are small and need more protein feedings.

That way they have some protein and their salads while I'm at work :)

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
When I leave them in the tank, I put some small-chopped salad in the dish with them, which seems to help with the issue of not chewing the worms. Just make sure the dish you use isn't super-shallow. The BSFL will use the salad as a climbing base and get out of the dish. ?
But as CooperDragon said, they're harmless if they do get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom