Do bearded dragons bask more when they shed?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, my bearded dragon is shedding right now. She seems quite annoyed by it. Do they bask more when they shed? Because she has been on her basking quite a bit today. She will quickly jump off for food. And has gotten off of it many times today. But, she seems to go back on a short while later. Is this from shedding? Is it something else? Or is it normal for them to bask this much?

Morri

Beardie name(s)
Zoom
I don't know about other beardies, Zoom's basking times seem to fluctuate depending on the stage of the shed. She is basking more in the beginning, the stage when her colours looks more dull and lighter and you know she's going to start peeling, but the shed isn't lifting and coming off yet.

Then when she goes into the full peely stage, she tends to hide more. Currently she is buried under the paper towels (she had surgery just over a month ago, so I have been using them as substrate). My best guess is that the fresh scales underneath are a bit more sensitive, kind of like with us, when we peel sunburn or have more intense exfoliation done.

Or maybe she's just vain and it's all "don't look at me, I'm having a bad skin day" ;)

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I don't know about other beardies, Zoom's basking times seem to fluctuate depending on the stage of the shed. She is basking more in the beginning, the stage when her colours looks more dull and lighter and you know she's going to start peeling, but the shed isn't lifting and coming off yet.

Then when she goes into the full peely stage, she tends to hide more. Currently she is buried under the paper towels (she had surgery just over a month ago, so I have been using them as substrate). My best guess is that the fresh scales underneath are a bit more sensitive, kind of like with us, when we peel sunburn or have more intense exfoliation done.

Or maybe she's just vain and it's all "don't look at me, I'm having a bad skin day" ;)
Ok, thank you very much!!!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom