Digging??

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
How old do females have to be before they start forming infertile clutches?
My 8 month old female, Yoshi, has been digging and scratching around on her slate all day. She is using her front and back feet. I don't know why she is doing this, I've never seen her do this before. Could she be trying to lay? Should i give her a small litter box with sand in it? Maybe she just feels like digging.....

spyder79

Extreme Poster
at 8 months old she should not yet be producing infertile eggs. is she possible beggining to shed. some beardies will dig around and rub their face on the floor when shedding cause it itches. Also some of them just like to dig. My male loves to do for some odd reason. he buries himself under the shelf liner i have in his cage all the time.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
My first instinct would be no, she isnt getting ready to lay.
At 8 months she is way too small to be getting infertiles. Its my understanding infertiles are only a phenomina in full adults.

It sounds to me like she has either some itchy shed or that girl just wants to dig!
Id be hesitant to give her a tub of sand to dig in because of her age, but if you want to try it out you can pop her in a sand tub and sit and watch her.

Ive also found that dragons sometimes dig because they are seeking comfort and security.
Do you have a hide or a nice blanket she can burrow in? Dex adored to burry herself into a blanket.

Holly

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ethelia":5bccb said:
Hi there,
My first instinct would be no, she isnt getting ready to lay.
At 8 months she is way too small to be getting infertiles. Its my understanding infertiles are only a phenomina in full adults.

It sounds to me like she has either some itchy shed or that girl just wants to dig!
Id be hesitant to give her a tub of sand to dig in because of her age, but if you want to try it out you can pop her in a sand tub and sit and watch her.

Ive also found that dragons sometimes dig because they are seeking comfort and security.
Do you have a hide or a nice blanket she can burrow in? Dex adored to burry herself into a blanket.

Holly

I definitely thought she was too young for laying, but I wasnt sure.
She is looking a little dull so maybe she is about to shed, but sometimes its hard for me to tell with her! She goes lighter and darker all the time!
I have a little felt hammock laying on the bottom of her tank and she occasionally lays on it. I was thinking it was a cry for attention, but when I took her out she didn't want to be held at all so I let her roam the floor a little bit. When I put her back, she went right back to it....
I think I'm gonna try and put a bigger hand towel in there to see if she just wants more to snuggle on.

She definitely has settled down today though. she's a weird one. haha.

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
It's possible she's trying to find a suitable place to brumate. I use a deep dirt for substrate. When my dragons brumate, they burrow under objects and back fill them shut to seal themselves in. At 8 months she is old enough to brumate (by her choice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom