Diablo had an accident..Updated with pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Scroll down for pictures.....

I pm'd Tracie, but if anyone else can offer help....

I put some neosporin and one scale looks possibly damaged...here is what happened.

Diablo is shedding on his belly and he snagged a piece of skin and it pulled off. Then he was acting funny and arching his back up like a cat and wouldn't let his belly touch the tile.

It was the absolute weirdest thing I have ever seen. He was on all fours but his back arched up in a hump and flattened out so it wouldn't touch.

Well I took him out and looked and some of the scales were kind of sticky/damp and seemed tender. So I soaked him in luke warm water and put him on a soft towel.

He seems okay now but there are two small patches where the scales are a slightly different color and it almost seems raw like skin after a sunburn. You can't even see it unless you look at the right angle.

Should I do anything else? Do you think he damaged the scales? I don't think there would be anything a Vet could do. Should I put a little neosporin or just leave it alone?

Thanks Kaya

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Poor guy. I dont think there is anything else that you can do right now. Just keep it clean and put the neosporin on it. Keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesnt get infected, if it does, then definitely a vet visit.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for asking!

Diablo is still a bit sore, but I have been putting neosporin on him and have every surface of his cage covered with fleece. His cage looks like a pimped out bachelor pad...and he seems to enjoy laying around on the fleece.

The scales look like they had a little blood seeping from between them yesterday and today it seems to be drying up and the scales are white and look okay. I think he will be fine in another few days. He is still trying to shed the rest of skin on his belly. I soaked him for 10 minutes earlier today.

His appetite hasn't changed and no obvious infection...so far so good! I am keeping my fingers crossed. I didn't realize how attached to the little booger I was, until he got hurt.

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
glad to hear he is being spoiled as he deserves! *hugs*
do you have pics on another thread or can you post some here?

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The injured scales won't show up on my camera, but here is a picture of Diablo....

diablopic.jpg

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I would say you are doing everything that you can do. You are doing a wonderful job! He is such a cutie! I do not know for sure, but I think his scales should heal just fine, and be back to normal with a little time. Keep us posted.

Ailsa

This happened to my Bosc monitor, he snagged the skin his belly and was also raising his back
I was told to bathe him, then when finished bathing him make sure you dry that bit especially well (pat it dry gently)
this worked great and he is fine now
I hope hes all healed soon :)

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay, sorry it took me so long, but here is the picture of the injury. It is dry and seems "healed" but all the scales are discolored. Is he going to recover from this injury? Or are his scales permanently damaged? I feel so bad for Diablo, but it doesn't seem to bother him and it is not infected.....I am just very sad for my poor little guy!!!! I feel like crying!

diablobelly.jpg

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Kaya,

just had a thought- where did he snag? There's no sharp tile edges in his tank are there? I'm sure no, but just thought I'd ask.

I think he looks like he's healing nicely, though I have less experience than lots on here, especially since they shed so often. How recently has he shed? How big is he? Looks like he's got plenty of growing room left!

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
dna14":c240c said:
Hi Kaya,

just had a thought- where did he snag? There's no sharp tile edges in his tank are there? I'm sure no, but just thought I'd ask.

I think he looks like he's healing nicely, though I have less experience than lots on here, especially since they shed so often. How recently has he shed? How big is he? Looks like he's got plenty of growing room left!

No sharp edges, just slate tile, but it isn't grouted....he was peeling and I think it snagged (the slate isn't smooth) just pulled off too much. He was shedding last week. He also gets rambunctious in his cage sometimes.....

He is growing fast he is about 215 grams and 17 inches...he sheds every few weeks. He is about 5 months old.

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
wow! He's going to be a big boy!!! Go Diablo! Keep us updated but I really think he'll be OK as he's not showing any signs of infection. Getting regular baths right? (sorry if I missed a previous reply) nice warm baths like you would take with water up to his armpits so it covers his vent?

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I think he will be just fine! I feel bad for the poor little monster too!! :cry: I would say because he is still growing that his scales should grow back, and be normal like the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom