Desperately Dying Rescue

Phoenix0721

Beardie name(s)
Cronus Argo
A 3yr old male Bearded Dragon was rendered to me on July 4th. Claiming that the kids don't pay it attention and she's too busy. I get there to discover he's 17in long & weights 217grams. She told me that his mate had died and apparently she didn't bother to check why she hadn't moved in 3-4 days and now black and bloated. He is Seriously Dehydrated Extremely Malnutritioned Desprately Mineral Deficient and Desprately Depressed. 💔 I began Calcium Electrolyte soaks and got him to eat a couple roaches and a few worms. No water other than soak and no greens or fruits. Day 2 he seemed to be a little more alive and responsive. Day 3 pooped blood and almost lifeless. I rushed him to urgent care center. They confirmed everything I suspected and that he most likely has a bacterial infection or parasites in his GI track. Started antibiotics and syringe water mix with Electrolytes multivitamin and Panga.

Attachments

• 20230704_160355.jpg
    20230704_160355.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 20230705_185422.jpg
    20230705_185422.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A 3yr old male Bearded Dragon was rendered to me on July 4th. Claiming that the kids don't pay it attention and she's too busy. I get there to discover he's 17in long & weights 217grams. She told me that his mate had died and apparently she didn't bother to check why she hadn't moved in 3-4 days and now black and bloated. He is Seriously Dehydrated Extremely Malnutritioned Desprately Mineral Deficient and Desprately Depressed. 💔 I began Calcium Electrolyte soaks and got him to eat a couple roaches and a few worms. No water other than soak and no greens or fruits. Day 2 he seemed to be a little more alive and responsive. Day 3 pooped blood and almost lifeless. I rushed him to urgent care center. They confirmed everything I suspected and that he most likely has a bacterial infection or parasites in his GI track. Started antibiotics and syringe water mix with Electrolytes multivitamin and Panga.
What are your surface basking temps ? and how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometer and they should be 95-100 -- I would look at getting a Ceramic Heat Emitter to keep the tank temps at night around 80-- you have a sick dragon and it is best to keep them a little warmer at night-- Your UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture? These are crucial to the dragons health-- keep the dragon hydrated - what is Panga?

Phoenix0721

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cronus Argo
What are your surface basking temps ? and how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometer and they should be 95-100 -- I would look at getting a Ceramic Heat Emitter to keep the tank temps at night around 80-- you have a sick dragon and it is best to keep them a little warmer at night-- Your UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture? These are crucial to the dragons health-- keep the dragon hydrated - what is Panga?
Surface Temps right around 100. Yes I have been reading about those and will be acquiring one asap. Currently using a blk Heat bulb to keep him warmer at night. Pangea is for liquid nutrition recommended by the pet shop we frequent. Bulbs are

Attachments

• 16888238258258131066686265385615.jpg
    16888238258258131066686265385615.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 16888238407947471808709881516616.jpg
    16888238407947471808709881516616.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1688823983799742880764801654062.jpg
    1688823983799742880764801654062.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Surface Temps right around 100. Yes I have been reading about those and will be acquiring one asap. Currently using a blk Heat bulb to keep him warmer at night. Pangea is for liquid nutrition recommended by the pet shop we frequent. Bulbs are
Please get some Oxbow Critical Care Herbivore - if hes eating insects that is good - please start dusting them w/ Calcium D3 lightly coated - do this 2 -3 times a week - NO light bulbs at night - the dragon needs darkness and warmth for now - I am going to post links for what you need to get him back on track
You want one of these for a UVB there are 2 options please do this ASAP one of the fixtures both my go to places are out of stock - if you have a Pet Smart where you are please get this one its very good-- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
or this one please replace the bulb w/ the one I post a link for you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0= this bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
digital probe thermometers 2 of them https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...ters-1/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer--
NO coils for UVB please get one of the ones I posted here --- you can try a vets office for the Oxbow Critical care or Amazon - he needs good nutrition and the Oxbow is good stuff -- when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for the screen on the tank - it will determine where it needs to go -- the Oxbow care is very thick you will need to water it down giving him more hydration

Phoenix0721

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cronus Argo
Please get some Oxbow Critical Care Herbivore - if hes eating insects that is good - please start dusting them w/ Calcium D3 lightly coated - do this 2 -3 times a week - NO light bulbs at night - the dragon needs darkness and warmth for now - I am going to post links for what you need to get him back on track
You want one of these for a UVB there are 2 options please do this ASAP one of the fixtures both my go to places are out of stock - if you have a Pet Smart where you are please get this one its very good-- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
or this one please replace the bulb w/ the one I post a link for you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0= this bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
digital probe thermometers 2 of them https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...ters-1/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer--
NO coils for UVB please get one of the ones I posted here --- you can try a vets office for the Oxbow Critical care or Amazon - he needs good nutrition and the Oxbow is good stuff -- when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for the screen on the tank - it will determine where it needs to go -- the Oxbow care is very thick you will need to water it down giving him more hydration
Thank You!! Yes I've been dusting his insects with Calcium Powder. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help me help him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank You!! Yes I've been dusting his insects with Calcium Powder. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help me help him
We need to get him back on par and your UVB and surface basking temps are going to help him- this is key to a healthy dragon -- the nutrition is critical at this point as well -- the lighting will help him want to eat on his own so we need to get this in order and on par -- please ask if you have any more questions
I found the other fixture I was looking for
https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output/dp/257663 you will need the Reptisun bulb I posted above for this fixture - it comes w/a 5.0 bulb you need the 10.0 bulb I posted

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I didn't see what bulb you use for uvb. If it's a coil or you don't have uvb please get him outside in the real sun as much as possible. Also pleaee make sure he is hydrated before you feed him to much food. It can be really detrimental to their kidneys and liver trying to digest food when they have been severely dehydrated.
Liquid calcium would also be easier on his system in the shape he is in. You can mix it in his slurries or in just plain water. The soak will not rehydrate him unless he actually drinks, and honestly as weak as he looks i wouldn't put him in a bath right now anyways. They can aspirate and drown in just seconds. The best way to offer him water is with an eyedropper by dripping it on his snout. (I prefer an eyedropper over a syringe because you can control the amount better). Be mindful not to get it in his nostrils, he may not be strong enough to blow it back out, and that could aspirate him as well but it's considerably less risky than soaks.
The poor little guy looks pretty rough but I've personally seen beardies that looked even worse survive. I sincerely hope you can pull him through, and your an angel for trying. This forum will be a great asset to you please ask for help on anything you need to know.
Also you might want to reach out to Tracie @Drache613 for advice on hydration and feeding, she is a vet tech. She is on late nights so it may take her a bit to respond.
Oh and if you do purchase the liquid calcium taste it yourself before you try to give it to him, I've gotten some that taste horrible and my guys refused it. Most of it has little to no taste (thats what you want) but some is just awful.

Phoenix0721

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cronus Argo
1am 7-9-23
Cronus Argo is no longer suffering and has been released from this realm. 🙏💔 Thank you for your knowledge and support

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im very sorry to hear that, it's so sad when they are neglected, they are sweet loving little animals and deserve much better. At least you tried and you are a hero for that.

Phoenix0721

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cronus Argo
Im very sorry to hear that, it's so sad when they are neglected, they are sweet loving little animals and deserve much better. At least you tried and you are a hero for that.
Thank you
It's truly disturbing that anyone could disregard life that way. He definitely deserved more and I'm glad he had me for his last few days 🙏✨

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you
It's truly disturbing that anyone could disregard life that way. He definitely deserved more and I'm glad he had me for his last few days 🙏✨
I am sorry to hear he passed - sometimes help comes too late :( - I am assuming the female suffered the same fate as this one did - people should not get dragons w/ out doing some research on them before getting them - we have seen way too many on this forum that pass from neglect or not enough knowledge of their care- you tried that is the main thing here - I am sorry I could not of done more to help as well - I too know what its like to rescue / rehome a dragon but she was in way worse shape that cronus- and it broke my heart to see her like that and I tried my hardest to get her back on par - she lived for another 3 weeks w/ me but I think her organs were too damaged from the malnourishment she suffered- again I am so sorry --

Phoenix0721

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cronus Argo
I am sorry to hear he passed - sometimes help comes too late :( - I am assuming the female suffered the same fate as this one did - people should not get dragons w/ out doing some research on them before getting them - we have seen way too many on this forum that pass from neglect or not enough knowledge of their care- you tried that is the main thing here - I am sorry I could not of done more to help as well - I too know what its like to rescue / rehome a dragon but she was in way worse shape that cronus- and it broke my heart to see her like that and I tried my hardest to get her back on par - she lived for another 3 weeks w/ me but I think her organs were too damaged from the malnourishment she suffered- again I am so sorry --

I'm so sorry for your Loves suffering as well. I believe the same to be for my boy. I will curse her to suffer the same fate she felt this creature deserved. I will send it back with the fierceness of a mother with the energy of the Mother 🙏✨🧡🌍

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom