Crickets?

QuesoTheBeardie

Original Poster
So my crickets keep smelling terrible and my roommate has suggested that I make my bearded dragon a vegetarian. Does anyone have any tips on keeping the smell down? Or should I make him a vegetarian? I don’t think it would be good but I need some advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my crickets keep smelling terrible and my roommate has suggested that I make my bearded dragon a vegetarian. Does anyone have any tips on keeping the smell down? Or should I make him a vegetarian? I don’t think it would be good but I need some advice.
Get rid of the crickets all together and get a 10 gallon aquarium and order some dubia roaches along w/ dubia food and dubia dew - feed the roaches what you feed the dragon just dont feed carrots to both - one or the other or you will end up w/ orange poop --- to much Vit A -- your dragon needs protein 2-3 times per week - you can also go w/ silk worms or BSFL

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your dragon definitely doesn't need to be a vegetarian. My advice is to do what is easier for you
but still keeping him nutritious food around.
I have successfully kept crickets, for years. The key is to basically keep their tank cleaned out.
I use a chicken watering system with a foam donut for water so they don't drown. If you don't keep
the bin cleaned out or change the water then it will likely have some smell.
As Karrie suggested, silkworms or phoenix worms are great also. A lot of people do feed roaches
but it does take time to get a colony going.

Tracie

QuesoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Hello,

Your dragon definitely doesn't need to be a vegetarian. My advice is to do what is easier for you
but still keeping him nutritious food around.
I have successfully kept crickets, for years. The key is to basically keep their tank cleaned out.
I use a chicken watering system with a foam donut for water so they don't drown. If you don't keep
the bin cleaned out or change the water then it will likely have some smell.
As Karrie suggested, silkworms or phoenix worms are great also. A lot of people do feed roaches
but it does take time to get a colony going.

Tracie
Thank you!! I don’t think I’ll go with roaches, they aren’t cheap where I live, and I figured I shouldn’t make him a vegetarian! Thank you for the advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you!! I don’t think I’ll go with roaches, they aren’t cheap where I live, and I figured I shouldn’t make him a vegetarian! Thank you for the advice.
It is best to buy all feeders on line--- in the end they are cheaper --- most on here get them on line if you want websites I can post some for you ---

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
You can put some ground coconut husk in the bottom of the Cricket cage. It will absorb most of the smell. I was told maybe about ½ inch to an inch, depending on the size of the container you keep them in.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can put some ground coconut husk in the bottom of the Cricket cage. It will absorb most of the smell. I was told maybe about ½ inch to an inch, depending on the size of the container you keep them in.
I had not heard that, thanks for the heads up 🙂

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I had not heard that, thanks for the heads up 🙂
I keep mine on a small layer of oatmeal. They never smell unless one dies and is not noticed. If keeping very large numbers of crickets [ hundreds or thousands ] it's more likely to have some dying and you need to be vigilant about checking for dead ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom