Closed eye

Zeus Crawford

Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Hello. I wrote about 11 days ago about our beardie, Zeus, whom we discovered is actually a female because she started laying eggs. One of the tips given was to give her a dig box with sand the consistency of a sand castle. We did, we used kiddie play sand mixed with some eco earth fine coco fiber (a suggestion from a fellow female beardie owner). We added some water to make it the sand castle consistency. She loved it, she would dig in it daily, even slept in it, but she didn’t lay eggs in it. We do believe that she finally has laid all of them, but I think she got sand or fiber in her eye. She will not open her left eye at all. This is the second time since using the dig box. The first time she kept it closed, she finally opened it in the bath, and I gently touched the bottom eyelid with a qtip and got a piece of sand and eye booger. She was fine for about a day, but then I guess she got sand in it again. We removed the dig box. It has now been a few days, and she still will not open it at all. What can I do? Is there a way to get/force it open without hurting her? I read other posts about using saline, I have not done that yet, only water, but I’ll try that. Will that flush it even if she’s keeping it closed? I imagine she’d have to open it for the saline to flush it.
Any help is appreciated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Zeus doing today, how many eggs has she laid?
Hopefully she is done laying for now!
Yes, you can use some sterile saline solution to help flush the eye out daily. You can also try some raw
unpasteurized honey (warmed up to thin it out) & mix it with a bit of warm distilled water. This will simply
make some antibacterial eye drops that you can literally drop into the eye.
To open the eye gently, you can get a swab to prop the eye lid open so you can get it treated.
Do you have a picture of her eye, is it getting infected?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
We’re slowly improving! We’re giving her an injection of antibiotic every 72 hours as well as antibiotic eye drops twice a day still. She is opening her eyes more consistently, and we’re syringe feeding 2.5mL twice a day of the Repashy beardie buffet. She is perking up and becoming a little more active each day. We’ve still got a long road to recovery, but she’s making strides and getting a little better each day. We’re hoping that she poops over the next couple of days too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear the antibiotic seems to be helping. If she is starting to keep her eyes open a little
more each day that is major improvement. It is a slow road for recovery for them, but it can be done. I
am happy to know she is getting better!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom