Chunky?

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi I just wanted to show some pictures and ask something to see if this is normal. So I’ve noticed sometimes by baby looks real chunky and his belly touches the ground, and then other times he looks fine but it almost feels like loose skin on his belly. Is this normal, I never noticed this when he was a little baby. Also is he chunky, is this bloating? I will look at him and worry about over feeding then other times I feel his stomach and I worry I don’t feed enough

Attachments

• 64115F3F-5FD8-4A90-ADD8-5CA8EB41D9F8.jpeg
    64115F3F-5FD8-4A90-ADD8-5CA8EB41D9F8.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 102
  • 3F1037CB-785A-47C4-9E27-66F228427CC6.jpeg
    3F1037CB-785A-47C4-9E27-66F228427CC6.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 60
  • D7BBDCA2-18F2-4DDD-B9D2-2E5EFED1261D.jpeg
    D7BBDCA2-18F2-4DDD-B9D2-2E5EFED1261D.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 533E2AFE-0AE9-4FDD-BF86-CD0012668968.jpeg
    533E2AFE-0AE9-4FDD-BF86-CD0012668968.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 65

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your dragon? Can you review his tank setup
a little bit & his diet/supplementation?
They can tend to get little beardie bellies but you do want
to be sure he doesn't get too much fat in his diet. At the
moment, he looks good.
Are you sure he is not a female, maybe carrying some
infertile eggs?

Tracie

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

How old is your dragon? Can you review his tank setup
a little bit & his diet/supplementation?
They can tend to get little beardie bellies but you do want
to be sure he doesn't get too much fat in his diet. At the
moment, he looks good.
Are you sure he is not a female, maybe carrying some
infertile eggs?

Tracie
He’s around 8-10 months old, and i think he’s male I can see the two bulges at the base of his tail (and he likes to head bob in the mirror, correct me if I’m wrong but that’s male behavior right?). He’s 17 inches long in a 75 gallon tank (will be upgraded to a 120 when I save up). He has a 150 watt basking bulb with uva a long t8 24 inch uvb bulb and a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter for at night all on timers for consistency he has a water bowl big enough to sit in with a air pump in it to create ripples plenty of platforms and things to clump and two hides, He eats dubia roaches and BSFL as staples and gets calcium a few days a week, he gets fed a mix of collard greens mustard greens and kale with some carrots some times and dusted with bee pollen. I think I’m doing everything right, I try to do the best for my boy I just want to make sure he’s healthy.
Edit: I typically only feed him once a day and give him greens once a day, because I noticed if I would feed him twice a day he would either not eat the second meal and if he did he would not want to eat for a day or two, not sure why that is but, I normally will feed him 20-30+ 3/4 inch dubias a day or around 60-100 BSFL, pretty much till he gives me the eyes closed “I’m full” thing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Toothless looks good, sometimes the stomach looks big just because these guys eat such large amounts of food [ like you mentioned 20-30 dubia] and they have a huge abdominal capacity.
If you want to post pics, we can check gender. Post pics with his tail arched up high.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely post some pictures for us, if you would like us to take a look. If he has a couple of bulges,
then he is likely male! LOL
I think he looks just fine though. As AHBD said, they definitely can have a bigger belly after eating, but
it will fluctuate. Since he is around 8 months or estimated, he will probably naturally slow himself down
on eating protein, etc.
Feeding once a day is perfectly fine & then whatever greens he likes is healthy for him.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom