Changing Color???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheri1484

Hi! Our little guy seems to be changing color. His stomach, when he's in his tank, is a black and white patterned color, but when we take him out to feed him, it's all white. Then when we put him back, it's back to the pattern again. Also, He get's more red out of his tank when he's feeding, but when he's basking he's really dark...and I mean like REALLY dark...Almost so that you can't see the pattern because it's all matching...is this normal?

SJM

Hatchling Member
Colour-changing is very normal in bearded dragons. A beardie's stomach is naturally white, and the black patterns are commonly called "stress marks" because they can come in times of stress. They can be a sign that your lizard is hungry, too cold, too hot, etc. Many beardies get them when they're shedding or basking. Younger dragons tend to have them really often. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're tank is decently sized (30 gal for hatchlings/juveniles, 50 gal for adults), has the correct temps (85* cool side, 100-110* basking), is equipped with the proper lighting, and your beardie is well-fed/hydrated, then I wouldn't worry about it.

He may get more red because he's happier outside of his tank getting attention from his humans. n____n the white belly is also a sign of that. He may just get really happy when eating. I'm not sure, but it is popularly believed that beardies get darker when basking because they are absorbing heat.

Bottom-line: Colour-changing is normal. Don't worry about it.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Absolutely agree. My little one has "stress marks" a lot of the time. I've come to call them baby marks and others call them grouch marks. My boyfriend's dragon looks completely different when he is outside in the sun- you wouldn't believe its the same dragon. My little one is very dark when she's basking and much lighter when she's out with me or in the bath.
Sara

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
The color changing is a normal behavior for beardies. If you would like to go over your set up with us, we can rule out any problems with the husbandry. That way you will know if it is normal or something with his enclosure that might be stressing him out.

What Brand and Type uvb are you using? fluorescent tube, compact, coil or mvb?
What type and watt basking bulb?
What are your temps in both basking and coolside?
What are you measuring your temps with? digital thermometer w/wire and probe end, stick on, temp gun?

Sheri1484

Original Poster
We had the wrong UVB bulb in about a week ago, but I was informed of that and shut it off....We are still waiting on the arrival of our Repti-sun 10.0 to be shipped to us since none of the pet stores around had it in stock. Should be in today. The basking side is around 102 and the cooling side around 79. We have a digital thermometer with suction cups that stick to the glass.

SJM

Hatchling Member
He should be fine without the UVB for now, and everything should improve once the ReptiSun is installed. You might want to invest in a different thermometer, the ones that stick to the glass by suction cup or adhesive aren't as accurate. The best thing to go for is a probe thermometer or a temp gun.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
That's good that you have the Reptisun coming...it is a great uvb bulb!

Does your digital thermometer have a probe? If so, are you taking the temp directly on the basking spot?

Sheri1484

Original Poster
The thermometer has a little black plastic thing coming off the suction cup...not sure if that's considered a probe or not. The temperature is being taken right where the top of his basking rock is.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Sheri....Does your thermometer have a wire coming off of it with a small probe on the end, that you put directly on top of the basking spot?

Sheri1484

Original Poster
Hi everyone! My little guy is doing great now! His color is still changing a bit but it's not a severe a change as before. He's also let me pick him up the last couple days without running away! I'm pretty excited about it, and he seems to be alright with it. Thanks for all the help, and hopefully this thread can help answer another new beardie owners questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom