Can Beardies get Depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
I think my Lance is depressed.

He refuses to eat.

He threw his salad all over his tank yesterday.

Here's why I think he's depressed... Or maybe just totally pissed off at me.

He was housed with his girlfriend Samantha up until Saturday night when I finally was able to put her in her own tank. They have been together since they were babies. He's 2 and she's 1 1/2. We bought them off other people about 3 weeks ago. We replaced UVB and heat bulbs. They seemed exstatic and they were moving around quite a bit. We noticed that Lance was bearding up at her, and at his reflection and was trying to mount Samantha. I don't know if he had any success. I guess time will tell. So, we went out and spent way too much money (the kids said so because it was their Birthday money since they are "supposed" to be their beardies $60 plus taxes) on a MegaRay bulb and put her in her own tank.

Samantha seems to be thriving in her temporary enclosure (we're building a new viv, probably two) and Lance seems depressed and/or pissed off.

Well, he didn't eat his crickets yesterday, and his salad was all over his tank uneaten. At dinner time feeding the crickets were still in his tank so, instead of wasting them and trying to catch them I put Samantha in to eat them. Well, didn't Lance get off his basking rock and start head-bobbing and chasing after her again! The foot was even going his bobbing was so enthusiastic! I so need to video tape him doing that. She gobbled them up in minutes and when she was done I took her out and put her back in her enclosure where she could bask happily.

Lance continued to bob a little bit more then went up to his basking rock, again. Later, closer to bed time, I attempted to take him out and hold him like I normally do. He didn't want anything to do with me. Instead he went into his hidey-hole and curled up and went to sleep. How long will he stay pissed at me? Will he ever get over "losing" his girlfriend and companion? I know they are better off seperated but he's pulling my heart strings. Is he in love? or just randy? I'm sorry I took his "piece" away, but he was being aggressive towards her and I didn't want them to harm each other.

Any suggestions to have him act normally towards me again? I tried bribing him with Mango, but that didn't work.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Gibby was royally pissed at me for a week when I first brought Dora home and took her away from him after the introductions. Trust me, it's not love, it's hormones. If at all possible, keep them in seperate rooms, and if that's not, make sure they can't see each other. Don't put her in his tank again. Period. Feed him outside the tank if he's not going to eat all the crickets, since you don't want to leave them in there with him to gnaw on him. Don't handle him after handling her without washing your hands. Eventually, he will calm down and forgive you, until then give him lots of love and cuddles (in a place he can't see her!). And if he's being a snot about you picking him up, wait until he's asleep and wrap him in a blankie and cuddle then. Good luck!

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are in two totally different rooms and can't see each other.

We always wash our hands before and after each handling of the two. She's not into cuddling very much, but maybe when i do handle her I will change my shirt and use a different blanky for the burritos.

Thanks peera :)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
This is normal male beardie behavior.Part hormones and part relocation stress.He was the dominant and now he has no one to dominate.He will get over it you just gotta ride it out.A little extra attention from you wouldnt hurt but give him a few days first to unwind.

Crunkdunt

Yeah, we had similar issues when we seperated Bug and Lei, they had been together since before we got them. We seperated for the same reasons, Bug decided to get too macho for his own good, hopping on the good foot to do the bad thing.. *ahem* Anyway, long story short, they were seperated and he was less than happy, wanted little to do with us and was more grumpy than usual. Now though he is fine. They cannot see eachother, although the viv's are on top of eachother. Havent had any problems with either of them since!

They do have a run around together sometimes when they are out but we watch them very closely. Not found any problems. Just gotta watch out for the mating season really.

Just thought i would share our story =)

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
UPDATE:

He's eating now. Not much, but some. He had about a dozen superworms yesterday that he couldn't run to fast enough to gobble them down.

His salad isn't all over the enclosure anymore. He has eaten some of it. I offer daily and replace his salad at dinner time so he has fresh stuff.

She on the other hand, is eating like a pig! She has been putting weight on! I love watching and laughing at her bask. She kinda sits on the edge of the huge rock in her tank with her BIG BEARDIE BUDDA BELLY flopped right on the top. It's soooo cute. Gotta love the Beardie Budda Belly! (try saying that 3 times fast! lol)

Lance has almost finished shedding too. His colour darkened so much. He's absolutely handsome! He looks like a totally different beardi now. He has a couple small spots on his tail and his arm pits left to shed. Will post pics once he is at his best. I can't get over how dark he is. I've been perusing the pics in the pic section and have not seen a dragon this dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom