buying bearded dragon for 10-year-old for x-mas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarneson

I have no idea how hard it is to take care of one of these. Do you think it's something a 10-year-old could handle? In other words, do they take a lot care? Are the pretty hearty? Any help and/or advice you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

changilass

Hatchling Member
I suppose it depends on how mature your son is.
I think that if you intend to go ahead with your purchase, you need to do some serious reading of these boards so that you can help him.

rarneson

Original Poster
thanks, I'll definitely do that. Do they take daily care, and, if so, how much (length) of time each day? Also, can you take them out and hold them? We have two cats, that's probably my biggest concern. Thanks.

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
I have a 10 year old son who begged me to get him a bearded dragon in August. We spent 6 weeks studying up on beardies and how to take care of them before we pulled the trigger at a reptile show. He is fairly mature for his age, pretty responsible, etc. My only comment is that baby dragons take a lot of consistent work and attention, regular feeding schedule, appropriate tank set up, the right food (proteins and veggies). I shored up a lot of the details (but made him read a book about how to take care of them prior to getting it) for him and help keep things on a regular schedule, but other than that, he's still very attentive to his beardie.

it works out for us because I travel 3-4 days a week for work, and on those days he feeds Joga in the AM/PM, gives her a bath every other day or so, and keeps the poop cleaned up. He's not big on cleaning out the viv -which I tackle on the weekends. When I come home Thursday night, I take over the feedings until Monday when I leave for work again -so we work together to handle the attention our baby needs. We've had her for 3 mos now and the other day he said to me "mom, i can't see how anyone could get tired of having their beardie" - so he really digs her. he also admitted to me that she's a lot of work and he was thankful that I help him out as much as I do. We fight over who gets to cuddle with her at night, and I'm constantly watchful about how he handles her, reprimanding him for peeling her skin when she sheds (it's really hard to resist), and reminding him that she isn't like a dog that plays fetch (he's tried to get her interested in a ball to no avail).

I think 10 is a great age to get one, there's a lot of learning about responsibility, and I think it helps to have an involved parent to keep things on the straight and narrow. (No, Derek, she can't have a xmas cookie LOL).

rarneson

Original Poster
thanks, great post. I apprecaite you taking the time. Yeah, I think he could handle it, but I love the idea of having him read up on it. Thanks again; very helpful. Richard

Starforce2

Juvie Member
rarneson":16vxu76s said:
thanks, I'll definitely do that. Do they take daily care, and, if so, how much (length) of time each day? Also, can you take them out and hold them? We have two cats, that's probably my biggest concern. Thanks.

They don't always need daily attention, it depends on the time of year. There was time my beardie went a week without any attention from me because she was sleeping under the log and not waking up. Obviously, a visual inspection each day is needed. You should try holding it once a day at first too, so it gets used to you.

As for the cats, that depends on the cats and the dragon. My cat wont do squat to my pets excpect sniff and lick. And the dragon will turn and run right at the cat and just not care. She's also 18 inches and almost a pound.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Hi! :)
Its a great idea getting your son a beardie, they are great pets and very loving,
Are you getting him a baby or an adult?
babies take alot more care and money, eating twice a day eating anything from 30-70 crickets a day... and veggies daily
Adults will eat more veggies having 70:80 diet, veg-crickets...
This is a great site for what veggies you can feed and what you carnt
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Adults are alot more docile and calm, babies are full of energy..
If you get a big tank to start off with,( you can always put a divider in at first) but getting a big tank will save you from buying a bigger one later on in life..
But NEVER house beardies together..They don't like the company...

As for inside the tank, Repti-sun 10.0 (Arcadia 12% if your in the UK) are the best UVB, Tubes are best, coils are not good.
As for the basking spot, you really need to test the different Watt bulbs to get the perfect temps..
babies like it hotter at the basking spott 104-109 at the hot side, adults like it a little cooler 99-104 and the cold side for both about 80 or so..
Try and get a high quality thermometer with a probe ( there more accurate)
Never use heat matts/heat rocks they can not feel heat from underneath so can easily burn them selfs...

As for substates, Never use anything loose, the risk of your little one eating it is too risky, and will cause impaction if eaten..
tile,shelf liner or repti-carpet is a good option... very easy to clean :)

I bathe mine every 2 days so they can go to the toilet and hydrate them self`s..

Its also never a bad idea to check for local vets in the area...

also getting hold of calcium and multi vitamins to dust the live feeders with is a very good idea...

i can't really think of much more ahah :D
Hope i helped :)

Olivia x

Starforce2

Juvie Member
oh yea and if it does get impacted for some reason (no poop for a week and hard lumps in the belly near the rear legs) you can mush some apple and saok it with olive oil and smear it into it's mouth, give it a warm bowl of water to soak in (make sure it can touch bottom so it doesn't drown) and plug your nose.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Dragons are long lived, and that's something to consider. He'll have this pet all through high school and possibly into college...so if he goes away to school someone will be needed to care for the dragon.

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
My kid has already informed me that he fully intends to take Joga with him to college (I'm thinking otherwise - maybe hoping? :mrgreen: ) when he and she get to that point. Honestly, I'm so attached to her myself it would break my heart to have them leave (double whammy there with my son and a beardie!). Maybe by then I can convince him to let me take care of her so he can concentrate on his schoolwork LOL.

rarneson

Original Poster
Well, santa brought my son the bearded dragon and he's very cool (the bearded dragon, not my son or santa--althought they're not bad). He's very fun and relaxing to sit and watch, his head movements are very mechanical, like a robot's. We're happy we got him.

One question: the humidity in his enclosure is very low, about 5%. I've looked on the forum and notice there's a lot about having too high of humidity, but should I worry about too low? And, if that is the case, what would be the best way to raise the humidity, maybe spray a misting bottle in there? Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement. Merry Christmas.

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Merry Christmas to you and congratulations on the newest member of your family!

No, low humidity is good! They are indigenous to the Australian desert where it is very very dry. You have to worry about high humidity cause it can cause respitory infections...

Starforce2

Juvie Member
it still wouldn't hurt to have a water bowl if it's a young one to help with pooping or a larger one a small dish to lick from, esp if it doesn't eat alot of fresh veggies. They absorb water from food in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom