Brumation

Lakiashinell

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Javi (Mohave)
Hey Everyone
Got a Beardie who was showing all the signs of brumation about 2 weeks after getting him. He's five months old so of course me being a new beardie owner this made me nervous. I just came from the vet who specializes in reptiles of course, and all test came back negative. Doctor says he looks healthy and hearty enough, so he told me bring him home and shut his lights down for two or three weeks and keep him somewhere dark and cool. I live in a one bedroom apartment and the only place that checks those boxes would be my bedroom or linen closet. His enclosure will not fit in either of course, anyone have any suggestion of what I could do as far as maybe a temporary enclosure I could set up in one of those places. He's In the same type of set up as pictured in my profile for my 9 month old beardie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey Everyone
Got a Beardie who was showing all the signs of brumation about 2 weeks after getting him. He's five months old so of course me being a new beardie owner this made me nervous. I just came from the vet who specializes in reptiles of course, and all test came back negative. Doctor says he looks healthy and hearty enough, so he told me bring him home and shut his lights down for two or three weeks and keep him somewhere dark and cool. I live in a one bedroom apartment and the only place that checks those boxes would be my bedroom or linen closet. His enclosure will not fit in either of course, anyone have any suggestion of what I could do as far as maybe a temporary enclosure I could set up in one of those places. He's In the same type of set up as pictured in my profile for my 9 month old beardie.
Ok you have a really nice set up --- but 5 month old dragons do not brumate unless they are over 300 grams- hes too young---- please get the UVB unobstructed w/ no screen or in the tank- if the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door hes not getting enough UVB--you want it over a piece of basking decor approx 12-15 inches - your also are getting ambient temps w/ the digital stick ons and the IR gun is good for spot checking and will not give accurate surface basking temps depending on types of material its made out of -- you want digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate and they dont need to stay on the basking decor all the time - spot check temps every couple of weeks -- Please NO enemas - I dont know if they gave him one but they are NOT recommended for dragons --- your vet should know babies DO NOT brumate --- normal brumation starts at around a year -- unless you have a huge dragon then it is possible --

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Did you just get him two weeks ago, or have you had him longer than that?

I agree, it's highly unlikely that he is brumating. Brumation can happen in young dragons, but not that young and only when they are near full grown already.

If you just got him in the past few weeks, it's possible that he is still just settling in. Relocation stress can last for quite awhile sometimes.

As long as your husbandry is up to par, he will come around eventually.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom