Brumation at 9-10mo?

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Looking around the forum it seems like this is the time of year for Brumation to start. I'm a little concerned about Beebz as I thought it was uncommon for Dragons to Brumate when they were under a year old but Beebz has stayed in his hide about a week now.

He is not fully asleep and will occasionally position himself so he can get a look out but he doesn't come out and doesn't show any interest in food.

At 9-10mo and 714g should I be concerned or just let him be? How often should I take him out to weigh him? Is there another reason he could be acting this way I need to be concerned about?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
He's a good weight, some people power feed their large dragons and they end up really heavy and sluggish. If they stay more like your dragon they are always more agile as they would be in the wild.
The dragon in the Photos looks healthy.
*facepalm* So I just checked on him and was greeted with this:
View attachment 84818

Is it still brumation-like behavior when they hide for a week then come out and bask? Before this last time he had taken to spending a day or two in his hide a couple times a week before coming out like this.

I'm even more confused now, why does he do this?
I would say it's fairly normal.

Quite possibly, he ate too much his first year and wants to shut down early...
As long as his weight is not decreasing & just keeps offering food until he's in full brumation.

It might be semi-brumation until he enters full brumation.
I'm leaving my lights off for my beardie this first year because I noticed a cool genetic he has and he responds to the dark/fluorescent lighting. I like the special effects...

There are so many different genetics running around, I couldn't tell you if your Dragon has German Giant.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom