Black beard and sleeps right after eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Wasn’t sure if this should be under health or behavior due to the fact that our worry is about digestion really. Today Freyja was allowed to splurge because haven’t been feeding her as much lately and have felt bad about it lol she ate more today than she has in awhile so maybe she was stuffed and tired. Her evening meal she had like 30 dubia and went straight to the cool side and went to sleep. Pretty hard black beard going on. Will this cause the food to not digest and rot? Does this call for worrie, someone please tell us that it’s no biggie so we know that she’s good and not worry in the future when she goes to bed early. She’s usually a hell of a basker but last few days she’s had a light black beard and stays more under the decor on directly under the reptisun t5 HO 10.0 uvb. Not sure why really the bulb is mounted inside and the highest point of the log is 10 inches away from bulb. So if anything we think sometimes damn 10 inches is close that’s a darn good uvb have been told 12-15 inches away and it’s 10. A lot of questions through my mind lately since she never really black beards and is usually more active and the basking is less consistent. Well anyway mainly was about the food and early bed lol but that’s what going on she’s been funny lately. Sorry about the short story

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Black beards usually mean distress or in pain-- the UVB if she has the proper distance should not be causing the black beard -- can you post a pic of her and the black beard please

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Could the tail shed and her belly being rough from shed cause the black beards are they common during shed?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure -- I know they get crabby when shedding -- it is hard to say--- I think I would get her a better piece of decor for basking under the light you have - and move the hide over to the cool side of the tank - get her something she has different places to sit - something like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
you can set this piece in the tank different ways for them to sit stand lay lay against -- it also offers different temp gradients
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I know we have been meaning to get her that but we had a Covid shutdown out here but we still remember you recommended that. We really like the way it looks too. Had your black bearded during sheds?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No but they do get crabby- especially blaze -- not so much hiccup-- blaze seems to have half a light black beard a lot but I just figure it's him in general- he's got good temps etc was in for a check up in August so I think it's just his personality in general- right now he's being treated for coccidia/ parasites so he's not the happiest camper in the park
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
sorry to hear about the parasite issue, nasty Lil buggers. Well, you say half a tight black beard? I notice a lot of the pics cooperdragon has shared with me also has a mild half beard like Freyjas a lot of the time. But when there is a real issue it will be like solid black right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom