Better basking option?

Alinannyms

Beardie name(s)
Marcy
I'm finally getting ready to build Marcy's new enclosure, and I'm pretty excited! He's getting way too huge for this stupid tiny tank, I feel terrible for him. It's also been a nightmare to clean, mainly just because of how damn small and glass it is lol. Super excited! Anyways, I would like to do a big ramp for my guy. He's a huge climber, so I think that this would give him a lot to climb on (in addition to lots of the other things I'm adding -- I'll show later). I was wondering whether I should do it diagonally across? It would look pretty cool and free up a lot of wall space.
1683423412741.jpg

However, it would leave less room for things on the floor. My other option is a ramp along the very back, which gives me the exact opposite problem, less wall space but more floor space. Which idea is better to you guys?
1683423437387.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm finally getting ready to build Marcy's new enclosure, and I'm pretty excited! He's getting way too huge for this stupid tiny tank, I feel terrible for him. It's also been a nightmare to clean, mainly just because of how damn small and glass it is lol. Super excited! Anyways, I would like to do a big ramp for my guy. He's a huge climber, so I think that this would give him a lot to climb on (in addition to lots of the other things I'm adding -- I'll show later). I was wondering whether I should do it diagonally across? It would look pretty cool and free up a lot of wall space.
View attachment 80155
However, it would leave less room for things on the floor. My other option is a ramp along the very back, which gives me the exact opposite problem, less wall space but more floor space. Which idea is better to you guys?
View attachment 80156
You want floor space

Beardie name(s)
Blue
View attachment 80155

Beardie name(s)
Blue
View attachment 80155
View attachment 80156
Just make sure the uvb isn't being blocked on the bottom. I tried this idea too and it blocked the uvb from reaching the bottom, so I had to scrap it. It there is shadow on the bottom floor from the ramp, then it's not the best idea for this enclosure.

Otherwise, sounds like it's gonna be really cool! Have fun!😁

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Just make sure the uvb isn't being blocked on the bottom. I tried this idea too and it blocked the uvb from reaching the bottom, so I had to scrap it. It there is shadow on the bottom floor from the ramp, then it's not the best idea for this enclosure.

Otherwise, sounds like it's gonna be really cool! Have fun!😁
Well, wouldn't a hide block the UVB anyways?

Beardie name(s)
Blue
Well, wouldn't a hide block the UVB anyways?
Yes, hides block uvb, but if you are using a large hammock in their cage, it is going to shade the bottom floor of the tank. Meaning, they would only get their uvb from the upper layer, which isn't a good thing. They should be getting full ubv from everywhere in their tank, exept small spots like hides.

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Oh yeah, I'm not going to have it high enough for it to cast a shadow over the entire tank. If needed, I could even move the UVB more towards the middle of the tank if it meant more equal coverage.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Oh yeah, I'm not going to have it high enough for it to cast a shadow over the entire tank. If needed, I could even move the UVB more towards the middle of the tank if it meant more equal coverage.
You probably don't need to center it. While you don't want the majority of the enclosure shaded, you want a good gradient to allow varying amounts of UVB based on what your Dragon chooses to expose itself to.

Here's a graphic from Arcadia's lighting guide demonstrating this principle:
1683575875318.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom