Best way to ventilate a roaches tote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewalrus

I want to start breeding dubia's, i have a large plastic tote that i want to use. but i do not know how i can put the lid, or a lid for ventilation. is there a good way, and what is this i hear about side ventilation... what does that mean? any info would greatly help.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
you can cut a hole in the top about 8" square and hot glue window screen to it to allow ventilation and to not allow escapees or visitors. If you were to have many totes side vents would allow you to stack the totes. Make sure that your roaches cannot reach the screen as they will easily climb that.

thewalrus

Original Poster
thanks, i probably should have thought of that, how do you do side vents? the same way?

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Either cut a hole in the lid... Or cut a hole on either side and glue it from the inside out.
If you have multiple colonies and want to stack them (If you have the heating situation figured out) than cut holes in the side of the lower totes and make sure the top tote has a hole cut thru the cover.

-Ian

jordy1380

What is the best way to cut the hole into the tote? Do you just use a utility knife on it until it breaks through or use a saw or something?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I use tall glass tanks with screen lids for my roaches. But my supers are in plastic tubs. We tried to cut the hole in that lid with a utility knife an it didn't work very well.....cracked it, but the hubby's sheet metal shears worked great for cutting the hole out of the lid. The last container that we made he used a grinder to cut the hole.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
jordy1380":85ce5 said:
What is the best way to cut the hole into the tote? Do you just use a utility knife on it until it breaks through or use a saw or something?

If you get sterilite containers they are nice and flexible. Use a sharp razor knife to cut the hole. Then use some screen and attach it w/ a hot glue gun. Make sure you have a nice dark container as well. Remember that roaches are nocturnal and don't need sunlight to survive.

If you're keeping Dubia I would definately keep a lid on them. Male Dubia love to come out on top of the egg crates at night to parade around, show dominance, attract the little ladies, and eat. Though they don't fly, they can jump a little and I've seen them glide when I'm chucking them into their enclosures after I sort them. I always see them hanging upside down from the screen on the top of my enclosures as well. So let me warn you that if you don't use a lid on top of your Dubia enclosures I can almost guarantee you'll find a few males running around the house after they jump from the top of your egg crates.

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom