Best Feeders For Juvenile Beardies?

Apollo_the_Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apollo
Hey all! I have a 6ish month old beardie who has been briefly on crickets and now on dubias, and now that he’s a little older, I would like to add some variety to his diet and maybe try some worms. In you guy’s experience, what bugs work best for juvenile beardies? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all! I have a 6ish month old beardie who has been briefly on crickets and now on dubias, and now that he’s a little older, I would like to add some variety to his diet and maybe try some worms. In you guy’s experience, what bugs work best for juvenile beardies? Thanks!
Treat worms supers horn butter or meal worms- you can feed another staple like silk

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi there 👋

Crickets, roaches, or silkworms are wildly known as the best feeder bug for a bearded dragon of any age. So you’d like to introduce worms to his diet? Let’s take a look at some potential feeders items you could use…

Pheonix worms;

Pheonix worms (otherwise known as BSFL) are one of the most popular staple reptile feeders at the moment. There is one big misconception you should be aware of if you chose to use this feeder bug:

Pheonix worms are praised for their naturally high calcium content and that they don’t need to be supplemented with calcium, the majority of their calcium content is actually in the indigestible skins.

Silkworms;

Silkworms are an amazing feeder but can be quite pricy in the long term, I don’t know about you but the silkworms sold in my area are 1.5 CAD per worm. If you choose to use this feeder, it’s best to buy eggs to hatch.

Hornworms;

Hornworms are another popular choice, the only issue is the price and the water content. They are 1.5 CAD per worm, just like silkworms. They can be fed as a hydration boosting treat, fed once or twice a week.

Superworms;

Superworms are a good choice for a juvenile or adult bearded dragon but should be fed with caution as they do have a hard exoskeleton that can easily cause impaction (which should not be taken lightly).

I personally feed 3-5 worms per day to my boy, he’s only one month older than yours (7 months) but monitor him while he eats and I keep a close eye on his bowel movement schedule. They can be a staple.

What to avoid?

Mealworms;

Mealworms… the worm with little to no nutritional content and a hard exoskeleton, commonly fed at chain petstores… just don’t even consider it, these things are a big no-no. They aren’t nutritional at all.

Waxworms, and butterworms;

These things are basically lizard twinkies, their fat content is so high it’s almost guaranteed obesity. They can be fed as a rare treat in very minimal numbers.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mealworms… the worm with little to no nutritional content and a hard exoskeleton, commonly fed at chain petstores… just don’t even consider it, these things are a big no-no. They aren’t nutritional at all.

Remember, lets not put hard and fast rules/"facts" out there, that's how misinformation spreads.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would like to add some variety to his diet
Better late than never :)

Variety is a major key to proper health. Just like we can't get all of our nutritional needs from one or two "good" food items, neither can dragons. A varied diet should be offered from day one. The more feeder insects you can offer, the more salad items you can offer, the better.

Dubias and crickets are good choices. To add on, superworms, mealworms, BSFL, and silkworms are other good choices. Remember, appropriately sized feeder insects. You can buy superworms in smaller stages that are more than an appropriate size for a young dragon. Same with mealworms and silkworms.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Remember, lets not put hard and fast rules/"facts" out there, that's how misinformation spreads.

-Brandon
True- I could take my own advice there, thanks for pointing that out.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Also worth mentioning is that beardies seem to love all kind of worms. At least mine does and I've read that a few times here also. Somedays my boy just eats maybe one dubia and lets the remaining ones be but if I add five superworms in, he picks them out between the roaches.
He also goes mad for waxworms even if he doesen't want to eat anything initially, but as J4ckdaw- mentioned, those are like candy for dragons. I feed maybe 4 of them per week until the box is empty and then pause them for a while. Those are not all that disgusting to handfeed as well, if you want to bond with your dragon.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Every source I've been able to find puts mealworms macro-wise (Protein/Fat/Carbs) as very similar to BSFL. They don't have as much calcium, even after subtracting the ~60% of the undigestible calcium, as BSFL.

I'm sure there are other differences in micronutrients and exactly what sorts of protein make up the insect but the mealworms fed at the same weight as you would BSFL shouldn't be any more fattening.

I will say that once Dragon's realize different kinds of good exsist they can become very opinionated about which ones they feel like eating. At least Beebz did, so don't be surprised if your little buddy shows less enthusiasm eating Roaches once he's learned more than one type of bug exists.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
If you are in Europe you can give locusts a try. They have a softer shell than crickets, make no sounds and don't die easy at all.

Also I don't think fat is AS mutch of an issue with younger dragons. Nature programmed them to put their energy into growing firstly so they get larger faster and are not as easy prey in the wild. Hence you feeding a baby three times a day with live food and an adult twice a week.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom