Beardie seems ravenous/quite skittish

Status
Not open for further replies.

raihani

My beardie seems to be insanely hungry he is 12 months olsd and he is that hungry tonight he is trying to eat the wires to thermometer and generally running around the tank liek a nutter every hand movement he thinks yiour giving him food and he just seems a little crazy - i have probe temp is 40C in basking spot and 27.5C in cooler area - is it possible he has worms? he is being really frantic its strange i gave him loads today bout 10 lucusts and 12 crickets and a salad and in pet shop they said he only needed 5-6 crickets and 2 locusts every 2 days - also he is shedding. Any tips? im using a repti glo light could this affect his eyesight? my heat source is a bright white light.

Umm yes he probably is really hungry. Your bearded dragon is still growing and is requiring lots of food... dont believe everything the pet store tells you :D .... What you can do is give your beardie a fresh salad everyday, unlimited. Three times a day give him your choice of locusts or crickets for 10 minutes each time (as much as he can eat in one sitting during that time). You can also supply him with an odd worm or two as a treat- I suggest Phoenix Worms, silkworms or a couple waxworms (only a couple times a week as they are fattening).
Wrapping Up:
-Salad everyday, with access to it everyday. Fill it up when he runs out and change it everyday regardless.
-Crickets/roaches 3 times a day in 10 minute increments (as much as he can eat).
-A silkworm/pheonix worm or waxworms a few times a week.

As for your light sources it is doubtful its affecting his hunger. Repti Glo 10.0 or 8.0 are sufficient as UVB and a bright white light (basking) is fine for him.

kirby

Extreme Poster
the pet shop lied to try and sell you a dragon thats 'easy'

they can and will eat you out of house and home. up and over 100 crickets a day.

schnookys

I agree with the other comments, it is normal and good for your baby to be so hungry! One thing I wanted to add is a note on "prepared" diets. I feed mine crickets, wax worms, meal worms, cockroaches, & all sorts of fruits & veggis, but I also offer two kinds of "prepared" foods. I have 2 females, and one male, they all love it. The first I offer is a dry food, (can't remember the brand) it comes in different sizes for the size of your dragon, the pellets are green, red, and yellow. They seem to like that just fine, but the one they LOVE is this little cubed stuff. I believe it is from Reptile Zone. It looks like diced ham with seeds from strawberries in it. Since it is a moist food I keep it refrigerated. They LOVE this stuff! I offer them the dry stuff free choice, same as fruits/veggis, and the bugs & cubes are rationed. Hope this helps.

kirby

Extreme Poster
pellet diets are something you really shouldnt feed imo. its cerial based, the ingrediants are horrible, and gives the dragon loose stools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom