Beardie problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchyCrabby

So this is my first beardie (Witblit - not sure if that means anything) but I have experience with other reptiles (snakes and Geckos) so I have a decent feel for when something is wrong. I got my beardie about 2 months ago and he has easily doubled if not tripled in size but recently he has been showing some troubling signs. He’s currently in a 20gal long (just until his 4x2x2 pvc comes) and has a mini halogen basking light and 2 exo terra desert uvb bulb (I can get exact wattage and temps when I’m back home) he gets fed 4x/week with mealworms dusted in Repashy Calcium Plus and 3x/week with spring mix (without spinach) and some type of fruit or vegetable (zuchinni, strawberry, etc) he has many places to go there’s a decent temperature gradient and many different options for basking but I believe he sits too close to his heat lamp he’s maybe 4” from the bulb and he lays there CONSTANTLY he’s there all day and night sleeps there etc but the main problem is that if he walks/runs when he stops he has a bit of a wobble aswell as just any type of movement he gets a bit of a wobble in his head/front he wasn’t doing this when I first got him and I’ve really only started noticing this recently he has also started to change colours when he’s on his basking spot to a really dark colour he also opens his mouth and waves a lot, but my main worry is the wobble, any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon is not getting enough UVB --- replace the coils you have ASAP -- coils are terrible - please get a 24" fixture from here https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use it till the tank is upgraded to the 4x2x2 then get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ---- you MUST do this NOW your dragon is developing MBD and hes showing signs of it w/ the wobble shaking the head ----------- when you get the UVB place it width wise on the tank unobstructed get a piece of decor under it 6-8 inches place it on one end of the tank --- in the mean time get him outside for some good UVB place him on you or in a tote NO Glass -- for 15 minutes DO NOT leave him --- you can stay out longer if hes on you thats going to start helping him but you MUST get rid of the coils ---- I would shut them off and use the sun till the new UVB comes in --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon? Witblits are very beautiful. I honestly don't know
much about that particular morph but I think they are relatively healthy.
As Karrie suggested, you will definitely need to upgrade your UVB lighting so that he can
absorb his vitamins & calcium more effectively. It does sound like he might be developing
metabolic bone disease so getting a stronger UVB is crucial for him.
Which lamp does he sit too close to, the basking light or the UVB light?

Tracie

CrunchyCrabby

Original Poster
Ok so I’ve upgraded his UVB to the reptisun T5 HO 10.0 tube fixture and I’m already seeing improvements with his walking definitely not as wobbly, although now another problem has risen. Hes not eating like he used to and starting to loose a small amount of weight, he still eats but maybe 1/4 of what he used to.
111840-7462650286.jpg
111840-7752670198.jpg
111840-5808813162.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What kind of screen ? Fine mesh or wide hole? Where is the UVB? Top of screen or inside tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door the UVB needs to go inside the tank -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- you can use this to hang it w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-fishing line - potted plant wire hangers or this stuff its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture --- it sticks to itself
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

CrunchyCrabby

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3dmnezxr said:
If the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door the UVB needs to go inside the tank -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- you can use this to hang it w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-fishing line - potted plant wire hangers or this stuff its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture --- it sticks to itself
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
It’s not that small mesh he holes are a decent size, his basking spot is maybe 3-4” from the basking light and uvb which he spends pretty much the whole day on he barely ever stops basking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are the basking bulb and UVB next to one another? If he is sitting there all day and not moving hes not getting enough UVB w/ the UVB on top of the screen --- a T 5 is strong and if it was unobstructed he would not be sitting that close to it --- correct distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor w/ NO screen --- if there is a wide hole it should be 8-10 inches --- his behavior is telling me something is off -- please post a pic of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom